oil consumption - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > oil consumption

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

oil consumption

Hey gang.. quick question concerning the wifes 2001 V8 Grand Cherokee.

She has been using a little oil lately and we haven't been able to notice any leaks. We have never seen smoke or smelled any oil burning. Last night however I happend to be in another vehicle when she started up the Jeep and I saw the smoke come out of the tail pipe for a brief second.... it was just a puff. Following her around town I noticed when she came to a stop and took off a puff would come out... Just idleing there was no visiable smoke. I am not sure if this would be something with the EGR system or worse yet piston ring blow by. Does anyone else have this same problem and have determined what it is? She has approximatly 130k miles on it.

The Jeep seems to have as much power as it always had.
I hope there might be a easy proceedure or something I can quickly check the emmission system since checking the piston ring leak would require a cylinder vaccum tool.

Thanks for any advise, hints, or suggestions.

DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Valve seals? Do a search

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

If it was already warmed up and still burned a bit of oil at idle but only when accelerating from a stop, I think that's piston rings leaking a little. If it's burning while under acceleration, I think that's valve seals. I may have them backwards...

In any case, there's a compression check in your future and either way, I don't think I'd worry that much about it as long as the oil is clean (no antifreeze/milky oil).

Maybe go up to a 40 weight oil?

Were you using synthetic oil the whole time?

Did it ever get hot to the point of overheating and perhaps score a piston wall?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

I'd worry about it. That much oil will destroy the cat converter in no time. Better to get it fixed now.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Johannmn
2001 WJ 

I second the previous post... get it taken care of soon. It may seem like a lot now but it comes down to one thing. Either you pay a little now or a lot more later.
Johannmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well... it is just a puff at start up and immidiatly as i accel from a start for a quick puff but it doesn't do it all the time... a cat converter is alot cheaper then pulling the motor and replacing rings.. lol...
But I understand what your saying..

Hard to spend too much money on a 10 year old truck.

It's never run hot.. I run 10w30 regular motor oil.. nothing special.

I'll have to look up valve seals.
Thanks for the suggestions.
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.