OEM or aftermarket Crankshaft Position Sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OEM or aftermarket Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
BigBadDad
2000 WJ 

Question OEM or aftermarket Crankshaft Position Sensor?

I'm still struggling with this problem on our 2000GC/4.0. I am thinking of letting a local garage tackle it for me. they want to install an OEM part from the dealer. Said the aftermarket ones available at the parts stores are no good and will not warranty them. Any body else had trouble with aftermarket sensors? (Quite a bit of dollar difference)

BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Only use a OEM sensor. You will save yourself headaches.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
BigBadDad
2000 WJ 

OK, but what is the difference? The ones Advance auto sells have a two year warranty, and labor is included if done at an Auto Repair shop. What is the warranty on the OEM Mopar part, which is what failed in the first place?
(Just wanting answers from those with experience. Thanks for the help. Things are really tight right now and a $300 repair is NOT in the family budget!)
BTTT
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

The aftermarket sensors and jeeps just don't get along. You will see many, many threads where aftermarket sensors have failed within the first month or have made problems worse.

I had my transmission done a few months back, and because of periodic problems (once every few months, it would have trouble starting), I went ahead and had the mechanic put in a new Duralast sensor, and the problem started happening every start, he couldn't even keep it running), so he put the OEM one off the used transmission in and it has worked fine ever since. (knock on wood)

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

OEM sensors have better tolerances and should be used on Jeeps for critical sensors like a CKPS or oxygen sensor, they save alot of hassles over cheaper and less accurate sensors. You can try it of course, but there are alot of threads with strange problems. From personal experience I would say only use a factory Mopar CKPS.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

oem or bust! ive used them all Autozone, Federated, O-rileys, every one ive installed on customers cars. On my jeep its OEM only because of problems ive seen with aftermarket. I had a brand new duralast one be bad right out of the box.
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
OnTheFence

When you say OEM, are you saying just buy from dealer, or is there a certain brand that is OEM for a given sensor?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I currently have an aftermarket one in my Jeep. It's been working just fine for a year now.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
BigBadDad
2000 WJ 

I am the OP on this topic. I installed an aftermarket from Advance Auto, and it has been fine ever since! I did get aggravated and "cheated" on the installation. I cut a hole through the driver floorboard to make it easier to access. Gotta be careful, there is either a fuel line or brake line right there that you got to avoid! (I forgot which one it is now)
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
When you say OEM, are you saying just buy from dealer, or is there a certain brand that is OEM for a given sensor?
Mopar is the OEM brand for jeeps, there are a lot of websites sell Mopar parts.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras2001wj View Post
The aftermarket sensors and jeeps just don't get along. You will see many, many threads where aftermarket sensors have failed within the first month or have made problems worse.

I had my transmission done a few months back, and because of periodic problems (once every few months, it would have trouble starting), I went ahead and had the mechanic put in a new Duralast sensor, and the problem started happening every start, he couldn't even keep it running), so he put the OEM one off the used transmission in and it has worked fine ever since. (knock on wood)
what sensor was that? speed sensor on the transmission?
FordExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordExplorer View Post
what sensor was that? speed sensor on the transmission?
The crankshaft position sensor reads the flywheel and it is mounted on the bellhousing of the transmission rather than the engine.
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Mopar is the OEM brand for jeeps, there are a lot of websites sell Mopar parts.
Does mopar actually manufacture their own parts? I believe someone else makes the parts for them?
93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

Use the OEM, they work and are not that much more expensive.
Unread 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

The question is, what is OEM?
It seems that Delphi made the OEM CPS for MOPAR?
Not that much more expensive is very relative. Im a college student who trains in multiple martial arts. Training and competitions are expensive.
If I can save $20 and still get OEM that makes a difference for my gf and I.
93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.