OE sounding aftermarket muffler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OE sounding aftermarket muffler?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

OE sounding aftermarket muffler?

I bought a 2004 4.7 limited 6 months ago and the muffler seam is rotted/leaking. I've brazed it which is a temp fix but need a new muffler and would prefer one with an OE sound. Most all aftermarket muffler reviews I've read say they're louder than OE.

My tailpipe is still in good condition and know the muffler/tailpipe comes as a single unit but I'm not about to pay $700-$800 for OE (52101 237AC).

Does anybody know of a good quiet aftermarket muffler which would work/fit? I have a mig welder so could weld it in with the current tailpipe/cat. Thanks!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Since I didn't even get 1 reply, and no luck in finding an aftermarket muffler online which sounds like OE, I contacted Kolak. He said I have a late model 2004 4.7 since the front pipe goes straight to the Y pipe (it has 2 cats in it) with no cat in front of the muffler. He said the only way to get the OE sound w/o buying the pricey one-piece muffler/tailpipe is buy a resonator which goes in front of the new muffler. Went ahead and ordered a new SS Magnaflow resonator and muffler with free shipping. I'll have to buy a piece of 2 1/2" pipe to space them out right once received.

Also told him I hope the Y pipe never goes out since it has to cost a fortune for a new one with new cats on each side pipe. He said they sell cats where you can cut the old ones out while welding new ones right in. Nice to hear. He also told me if I ever get an o2 sensor code I best fix it real quick because it will take those cats right out or clog them. Nice to know since it has four o2 sensors on it and I'll have to keep a look out.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.