odometer not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > odometer not working

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
tex2281
2003 WJ 

Angry odometer not working

Not sure what is causing this but my odometer and trip meter have not been working since i bought it from my father inlaw. He said it was working and then just quit one day. I have taken the cluster apart and none of the contacts look like they are burnt, all the fuses are good. Everything else works in the instrument cluster and on the digital display above. Any suggestions would be great. I was going to try and clean the contacts on the ecm and see if that would work.

tex2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
adamcorey
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't touch until it's time to sell. I wish my odometer stopped a long time ago.
2004 WJ. Limited. 4.7 H.0. fully loaded 255/75-17 BF Goodrich mud Terrains. K&N intake. Flowmaster dual side exit exhaust. Clarion door speakers with 12" pioneer sub. Rear flip down DVD with surround sound. 2.5 inch Rustys coils installed with 2 inch BB in the box waiting on extended sway bar links. Addco rear sway bar. Uniden CB. Viper 2 way alarm w/ dei start. It holds 5 guys with hunting and fishing gear and tows a 24 ft. Bass Tracker all at the same time.
1995 ZJ laredo 4.0 235/75-15 BF Goodrich all-terrains. K&N FIPK. Dynomax cat back. pioneer deck w/ 12'' bazooka sub(not the tube). rear integrated fog lights for night time surf fishing. roof and front bumper mounted rod holders. replaced--stock springs and shocks, alternator, starter, crankcase sensor, fuel filter, pads and rotors, front u-joints, thermostat, radiator hoses. tranny went so i traded it for the big boy above.
adamcorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

to test the cluster push the trip reset button while you turn the ignotion on, this will do a self test of the gauges and warning lights.
all the needles will do a full sweep. hows the abs? as the speedo gets its info from the abs tone ring as well.
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
ExoticFish
2004 WJ 

If you figure out what the problem is let us know so I can break mine. Lmao
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
dafox
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticFish View Post
If you figure out what the problem is let us know so I can break mine. Lmao
x2
dafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is excellent for you since they're talking about taxing each motor vehicle on miles traveled. Keep it broke and don't tell anyone...in fact have a mod delete your thread.
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
shepd
2000 WJ 

LOL, I bet new ABS speed sensor rings with about 3/5th the teeth will become very popular if such a law ever happens. You could then gauge your speed via the kph printed on the odometer and enjoy a 38% tax break. You could go even further than that, but I imagine then you'd want to fit some sort of separate GPS based speedometer.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
tex2281
2003 WJ 

Still haven't figured out what's wrong so I'm just leaving it alone if I do find out what caused it I will let you know how to make it not work
tex2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I was an expert at reaching under the dash of my fathers 69 El Camino and popping off the spedo cable. I was 15 and wanted to drive, what can I say!
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.