OBDII still showing P0161 and P0158 even after changing O2 sensor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > OBDII still showing P0161 and P0158 even after changing O2 sensor.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
DCJosh

Question OBDII still showing P0161 and P0158 even after changing O2 sensor.

Hey everyone. Since I bought a YJ recently and the weather has been nice, the WJ has been sitting for a while.

I took it out for a drive and I got a MIL (Check Engine).

Went to Advance auto and they told me I have the P0161 and the P0158 codes. I changed the sensors and the check engine light is still on.

I went back to Advance borrowed the OBDII again and thought that I could just clear the code. Did that, but it only lasted for a little while until the MIL came back.

I did just learn that I could cycle the key off and on a few times and it would show the fault on the odometer. Kind of a cool feature.

What are my options? I have searched but I don't come up with any solid answers for my case in particular.

I have a 2003 Overland with the 4.7HO.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

- DC Josh

DCJosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
I changed the sensors ...
Those codes refer only to one (bank 2 sensor 2) of the 4 O2 sensors. Are you saying that you changed them all? or just one? If only one, are you sure it was the correct one. BTW, with those codes, most likely there is a problem with a couple of the wires for that sensor shorting together.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
Those codes refer only to one (bank 2 sensor 2) of the 4 O2 sensors. Are you saying that you changed them all? or just one? If only one, are you sure it was the correct one. BTW, with those codes, most likely there is a problem with a couple of the wires for that sensor shorting together.
I changed both of the sensors that are just after the small catalytic converters. They are the ones that are close to each other on the passengers side.

(I actually got the information from you in a thread from 2009!)

I did the code check by cycling the key and not it says that I am just getting the P0158 code.

Would taking my battery cable off to reset the ECU help? Any more ideas?
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
DCJosh

I solved the issue by disconnecting the battery from both positive and negative terminals, wait for a few minutes, and then connected them up again. I then drove around the beltway and tested everything out.

The MIL did not come on during the 60 mile trip.

I will repost if it comes on again within the next few days, but I think this may have solved the issue.
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Mine did it too until I disconnected the battery, never came back.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
DCJosh

The MIL came up again today. I bought a scan tool and it is showing the P0161 code as the primary and the P0158 as a pending code.

Is there a chance that it is because I used a Bosch sensor?

Any thoughts?

- DC Josh
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Yeah, Try denso or NTK Unfortunately a Bosch 02's seem to make a Chryslers run worse. They seem to be okay replacements in a vehicle that used them from factory ie some GM's toyota's etc but the heater element in them doesn't run hot enough to satisfy the pcm requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post

Is there a chance that it is because I used a Bosch sensor?

Any thoughts?

- DC Josh
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Yeah, Try denso or NTK Unfortunately a Bosch 02's seem to make a Chryslers run worse. They seem to be okay replacements in a vehicle that used them from factory ie some GM's toyota's etc but the heater element in them doesn't run hot enough to satisfy the pcm requirements.
If that's the case, does anyone know Auto Zones return policy...?
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
snowman91
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh

If that's the case, does anyone know Auto Zones return policy...?
If it has a warranty they will give your money back. But you can pick up ntk from napa
snowman91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
CopperDeer
1999 WJ 

Sounds like it could be a wiring short like mentioned, though. Try swapping both downstream O2 sensors with each other and see if the code follows the sensor (to the other bank) or stays on bank 2. Then it would really suggest a wiring issue.
CopperDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperDeer View Post
Sounds like it could be a wiring short like mentioned, though. Try swapping both downstream O2 sensors with each other and see if the code follows the sensor (to the other bank) or stays on bank 2. Then it would really suggest a wiring issue.
The problem with that is the sensors have different electrical plugs at the ends...

The Bosch sensor did have a more 'universal' type plug, I will try to swap that one over and see if it follows.
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

What did you have to do to make the Bosch "universal" plug connect to the WJ harness plug?
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
DCJosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
What did you have to do to make the Bosch "universal" plug connect to the WJ harness plug?
I did not have to do anything to it. It fit over the WJ harness tabs that stick out in the random locations.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
DCJosh

Update to what I have been dealing with.

Autozone took back the Bosch O2 sensor with out the receipt or the box, so that is good.

What is bad is, I purchased a Denso O2 sensor (the same that the dealer wanted) and installed it and I am still getting the P0161 code.

Will it disappear within a certain number of times I start and run the Jeep? Should it go off automatically?

Is there a fuse that I could check? I'm at a loss again, any help is appreciated.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJosh View Post
Update to what I have been dealing with.

Autozone took back the Bosch O2 sensor with out the receipt or the box, so that is good.

What is bad is, I purchased a Denso O2 sensor (the same that the dealer wanted) and installed it and I am still getting the P0161 code.

Will it disappear within a certain number of times I start and run the Jeep? Should it go off automatically?

Is there a fuse that I could check? I'm at a loss again, any help is appreciated.
I don't think the code will go away instantly. You have to drive it a certain distance or time or clear it using a code reader..
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.