o2 sensors - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > o2 sensors

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb
My 04 4.7 also smells like fuel from the exhaust at idle with a slight miss but no codes. I installed new plugs last Fall but not sure if I have a bad new plug or maybe coil pack? I read in the FSM the coil pack resistance is .6 - .9 ohms for primary and 6K-9K for secondary but it didn't mention exactly how you're supposed to test this? Can someone please explain this test and I am familiar with my multimeter? Thanks! Sorry and not trying to hijack this thread but just saw o2 sensors mentioned in the title. Thought I'd mention when I bought my 4.7 exhaust from Nick/Kolak he said if you end up with a bad o2 sensor you best fix/replace it pretty fast before it trashes the cat(s). How ya doing 86cj74.2L and glad to see you still have your sense of humor!
I'm still good.......as for your slight miss. If it was a real one the PCM would code for it. It only needs to see it twice before the code is set.

With the miles our WJ's have a few doses of a good injector cleaner aka techtron or the Amsoil stuff or sending your injectors out for a pro cleaning.

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I'm still good.......as for your slight miss. If it was a real one the PCM would code for it. It only needs to see it twice before the code is set.

With the miles our WJ's have a few doses of a good injector cleaner aka techtron or the Amsoil stuff or sending your injectors out for a pro cleaning.
Thanks and still only have 84K miles on it even with the wife using it for her dd the 50-60 miles to/from work. But you're probably right about using some injector cleaner and have a large bottle of Lucas gas treatment but haven't used any in a while. Not sure if this is up to par with the Techtron or Amsoil stuff but I'll give it a shot.

Know I need to also clean the throttle body and IAC which I've yet to do.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I use the Amsoil stuff now because of convenience. Local ACE hardware store sells Amsoil products. And its 10 dollars. Last I looked a bottle of techtron that treats 20gal was more and I have to drive 16miles round trip to get it.

They even stock the transfer case fluid for our 247's for 13 a qt.

I've been known to stick acetone in on occasion too. Its also helps counteract the ethanol when its saturated with water.
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It was pretty darn sad to see the local 125 year old ACE hardware store close down a couple months ago in the small town just 3 miles from me. The family who ran it for generations were close friends and Home Depot a mile further down the road put them under. ACE sold those type products you mentioned while of course HD does not. Next ACE hwd is 20 miles from me.

I still have the transfer case fluid for my 247 sitting in the basement and need to change it out.

Interesting about adding acetone to the fuel to get the water out of the corn fuel additive which I've never heard of before. I use acetone plus ATF as a rust cutter in a trig sprayer which seems to work better than PB blaster.

That slight miss is pretty irritating. Kinda bad when your daughter comes clear from CA and the first thing she says the first time she rides in my WJ is, "why's it missing?". Hope the fuel injector cleaner solves the problem but like you said I may need to send them out for a pro cleaning/rebuild.

Unread 09-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
It was pretty darn sad to see the local 125 year old ACE hardware store close down a couple months ago in the small town just 3 miles from me. The family who ran it for generations were close friends and Home Depot a mile further down the road put them under. ACE sold those type products you mentioned while of course HD does not. Next ACE hwd is 20 miles from me. I still have the transfer case fluid for my 247 sitting in the basement and need to change it out. Interesting about adding acetone to the fuel to get the water out of the corn fuel additive which I've never heard of before. I use acetone plus ATF as a rust cutter in a trig sprayer which seems to work better than PB blaster. That slight miss is pretty irritating. Kinda bad when your daughter comes clear from CA and the first thing she says the first time she rides in my WJ is, "why's it missing?". Hope the fuel injector cleaner solves the problem but like you said I may need to send them out for a pro cleaning/rebuild.
The PCM knows the ignition timing event. At that time it watch for the crank to accelerate. If it doesn't it codes for a misfire on that cylinder. Now in saying that if it fires and there is weak acceleration on the crank it would know that too but there is no code for that condition and I don't know what the minimum crankshaft acceleration would be to cause a code. Per-say.......

If you've done a tune up with plugs fuel filter bla bla bla all that's left is dirty injectors, weak coil, or a compression test.

A truly bad miss would ares your hydrocarbons if you have a sniffer.

What are the LTFT's for bank 1&2
Unread 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The PCM knows the ignition timing event. At that time it watch for the crank to accelerate. If it doesn't it codes for a misfire on that cylinder. Now in saying that if it fires and there is weak acceleration on the crank it would know that too but there is no code for that condition and I don't know what the minimum crankshaft acceleration would be to cause a code. Per-say.......

If you've done a tune up with plugs fuel filter bla bla bla all that's left is dirty injectors, weak coil, or a compression test.

A truly bad miss would ares your hydrocarbons if you have a sniffer.

What are the LTFT's for bank 1&2
It only seems to have a slight miss at idle and I can feel it through the steering wheel. When accelerating it doesn't seem to miss at all and has plenty of power. Of course I've had all 4.0's for 18 years and the V8/4.7 is something else!

Changing the fuel filter is something I'm planning on doing soon. Was going to buy a WIX but saw a review where it raised a WJ's fuel pressure too much so might as well go with Mopar.

The muffler's leaking some from the rusted seam where I brazed it and need to put the new muffler with resonator on I bought from Kolak.

As mentioned before do you know exactly where I'd put the probes on my ohm meter for checking primary and secondary resistance on the coil packs? And will this tell me if the coil pack is weak since really don't want to replace them all? I'm not at all familiar with this test and would assume you need to have the neg battery cable disconnected?

I don't have a sniffer but when my wife gets home from work I'll try to put my scanner/reader on it for the bank 1/2 LTFT's. Thanks for your help!

Unread 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
It only seems to have a slight miss at idle and I can feel it through the steering wheel. When accelerating it doesn't seem to miss at all and has plenty of power. Of course I've had all 4.0's for 18 years and the V8/4.7 is something else! Changing the fuel filter is something I'm planning on doing soon. Was going to buy a WIX but saw a review where it raised a WJ's fuel pressure too much so might as well go with Mopar. The muffler's leaking some from the rusted seam where I brazed it and need to put the new muffler with resonator on I bought from Kolak. As mentioned before do you know exactly where I'd put the probes on my ohm meter for checking primary and secondary resistance on the coil packs? And will this tell me if the coil pack is weak since really don't want to replace them all? I'm not at all familiar with this test and would assume you need to have the neg battery cable disconnected? I don't have a sniffer but when my wife gets home from work I'll try to put my scanner/reader on it for the bank 1/2 LTFT's. Thanks for your help!
Start a new thread too
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I started a new thread over here and sorry for taking over this one for a while.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post25294242

Unread 09-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
craft2004
2004 WJ 

well got my codes read today and I got one code and it was bank 2 was running lean, so someone told me to try the o2 sensor before the cat because it could be faulty and telling the computer its lean when its really not so I got me a o2 sensor and I am about to put it on so will see
craft2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.