O/D use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > O/D use?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
JoeFaz
1999 WJ 

O/D use?

I read something here once, but can't find it, now. I have a '99 WJ with the 4.7 V-8. I'm not sure when to use the O/D. I don't tow anything ( I may someday, just don't now), and most driving is only a few miles back/forth to work but it does include highway time. Is it preferable to use the O/D on a regular basis, or only when towing loads? I know nothing about what it's function is other than when I turn it on, my rpms go up. Does it effect the already crazy-bad gas mileage (12-16 highway, 10-12 city)?
Thanks!

JoeFaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
oaklyjeep10
2002 WJ 

All overdrive is in another gear. When you push the button to turn it off you're just keeping the transmission from shifting into the highest gear.
RCLAs | IRO 6.5" springs| Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s | Smitty built 8000 | Custom front Bumper | Complete sound system 2 12s | BTF cover and truss (rear) | Custom sliders | Flashpaq [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/dhalls-build-1508292/[/URL]
oaklyjeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Od is always on. Leave it on, unless you're towing.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
JoeFaz
1999 WJ 

Ahhh, I was confusing "off" with "on". D'OH!
JoeFaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.