O/D and trans temp light coming on-- is this bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > O/D and trans temp light coming on-- is this bad?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
w00ten
2001 WJ 

O/D and trans temp light coming on-- is this bad?

Hey guys, I'm new here. Not really into modding my Jeep or anything, but I figured you guys can probably help with technical issues better than anyone else around. It's a 2001 with 107k miles.

About a week ago, I noticed after about 30 minutes of driving my O/D Off light came on by itself. I thought it was strange, and then I was a bit alarmed because a few minutes later the Trans Over Temp light came on. When I got home, I could smell a funny smell coming from the engine. Nothing too overpowering, but there was a smell.

It happened a couple more times, so I took it to the dealership today. They did what they called a Transmission Service. Not completely sure what that entails, but they removed the pan and said there wasn't any metal in the fluid but that it was pretty dirty. I was under the impression that they flushed the lines and replaced it with new fluid, but the more I think about, I'm starting to feel like maybe they didn't. I don't know...

They said they had someone come in with the same problem last week, they did all that stuff, and she hasn't been back. But on the way home, the lights came on again. Tomorrow I'm going to check the fluid levels and add some more myself if it's low, but it's dark out so I can't do that now.

But my question is does anyone have any experience with this? What could be causing it? And where should I take it to have it fixed?

This is a big dilemma because I'm supposed to drive 700 miles for my sister's wedding on Thursday. And if my car's in the shop or not in driving condition, I'm in trouble. Any help?

w00ten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

turning ODoff is a secure mode for the transmission to reduce the heat production, so it's normal in overheating.

The problem is- why was it overheated? I assume you were not doing any hard stuff like towing or something?

If you didn't, then I can advise you one thing. Rather rare case, but who knows, maybe it will help. My friend got a crushed oil line (something hit it and bent). That restricted flow of oil a lot. Therefore it was overheating and nobody knew why. After some additional miles (it was his DD, so he couldn't not drive it to figure the problem out) his tranny was fried. So I'd say check the oil lines to the radiator, maybe something is blocking it.
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

To the best of my knowledge the trans service is replacing the trans pan and AFT. No flush but I could be wrong.

Did they mention anything about pulling the codes? There is a TCM (transmission control module) built into the ecu that can store codes as well.

With that light on, dose the Jeep go into overdrive? I think that it will not go into 4th gear.

I would not drive 700 miles with this fault appearing and the transmission is not shifting into top gear.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
w00ten
2001 WJ 

nope, not towing or anything. just normal driving.. they didn't say anything about codes at the dealership, which now that i think about it is odd.. i should have mentioned it cause i know they can use the computer or whatever to diagnose problems sometimes. i'm gonna take it to aamco tomorrow morning because i figure they might be able to diagnose better than the dealership since they are all about transmissions.

one thing of note.. i checked the trans fluid level today just to make sure it was in shape, and it was actually really, really high. over the full mark in fact. could this be causing a problem? i'll mention it at aamco tomorrow.
w00ten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
manofmany
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ten
nope, not towing or anything. just normal driving.. they didn't say anything about codes at the dealership, which now that i think about it is odd.. i should have mentioned it cause i know they can use the computer or whatever to diagnose problems sometimes. i'm gonna take it to aamco tomorrow morning because i figure they might be able to diagnose better than the dealership since they are all about transmissions.

one thing of note.. i checked the trans fluid level today just to make sure it was in shape, and it was actually really, really high. over the full mark in fact. could this be causing a problem? i'll mention it at aamco tomorrow.
PLEASE do not take your Jeep to Aamco! They are a very shady nasty company. I guarantee all they tell you is "it needs rebuilt." Bad idea man.
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

You have to check your tranny fluid in neutral when its warm, aka after you drive around for 10-15 minutes. Otherwise your reading will be way too high like what you say. Take it back to the dealer, sound like a bad line or your tranny cooler has a issue.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

Quote:
one thing of note.. i checked the trans fluid level today just to make sure it was in shape, and it was actually really, really high. over the full mark in fact.
How did you check it?
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

the pan off service does include a flush, last time i wheeled i had some over presure come out of the weep whole between the tc and trans and the dealer was pushing me to have the pan off done i told him i would do it myself
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
checked the trans fluid level today just to make sure it was in shape, and it was actually really, really high. over the full mark in fact.
Thatís what happens when you check the ATF level with the vehicle in Park. Move it to Neutral (as indicated in the factory service manual) and the level will drop on the transmission dip-stick

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
jsalava

Having exact same problem with my 2001 GC, and was wandering what the final resolution was to fix this.
jsalava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Kevin5097
2002 WJ 

I too am a victim of these symptoms, I wanted to inform everyone that I also had a code PO740, We took it in and they replaced a solonoid as well as filter and new fluid because there were metal filings plugging the solonoid??? The problem is back. I will be checking the cooler and lines for obstruction or damage.
Kevin5097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
techytech1

o/d off and trans over temp cycling on & off after power washing engine

This happened after I power washed/degreased my engine for oil build up, but you never know?...I talked to my favorite transmission guy in waterford MI and he said a friend of his just had the same problem a week or so ago, told him only thing to do is to disconnect the battery and let it set a few days...and low and behold it was back to normal.

In my case I thought it was water, and before talking to him I used electrical cleaner to jet all the wires sensors from computer and else where including the 2 sensors on the transmission on my 2002 jgc auto trans, and then put wire dryer on everything...still the same problem...

After talking with him, I took electrical cleaner and my air nozzel sprayer and detatched the connectors by the computer and cleaned sprayed out and put in dielectric grease in them. I also disconnected the computer cables and did the same....on one of them it was filled with degreaser fluid...which I think was the problem...any way did them all and problem is now gone.
techytech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techytech1 View Post
This happened after I power washed/degreased my engine for oil build up, but you never know?...I talked to my favorite transmission guy in waterford MI and he said a friend of his just had the same problem a week or so ago, told him only thing to do is to disconnect the battery and let it set a few days...and low and behold it was back to normal.

In my case I thought it was water, and before talking to him I used electrical cleaner to jet all the wires sensors from computer and else where including the 2 sensors on the transmission on my 2002 jgc auto trans, and then put wire dryer on everything...still the same problem...

After talking with him, I took electrical cleaner and my air nozzel sprayer and detatched the connectors by the computer and cleaned sprayed out and put in dielectric grease in them. I also disconnected the computer cables and did the same....on one of them it was filled with degreaser fluid...which I think was the problem...any way did them all and problem is now gone.
what is this electrical cleaner you refer to?

sounds like exactly the symptoms i had this past weekend, expect mine is due to driving through mud and big puddles from melted snow.
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEinSoCal View Post
what is this electrical cleaner you refer to?

sounds like exactly the symptoms i had this past weekend, expect mine is due to driving through mud and big puddles from melted snow.
Electrical cleaner doesn't eat plastic which is great for contacts!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
JForest2
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers View Post
Thatís what happens when you check the ATF level with the vehicle in Park. Move it to Neutral (as indicated in the factory service manual) and the level will drop on the transmission dip-stick

I don't know about anybody else but I've been checking mine in park my whole life and my level is never higher in park than neutral.....

The fluid still get circulated when in park or neutral....

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.