Noticiable Difference in Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noticiable Difference in Power

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Reply
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
cr8zynelly
Senior Member
 
cr8zynelly's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 790
Noticiable Difference in Power

I have an 02' H.O. with a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster exhaust. The truck performs completely different depending on the outside or ambient temp . . The acceleration and even the shift points change. I don't need to looking at the outside temp gauge I know it will read between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this because of the cool dense air that this ambient temp produces?? Basically, would putting a chip in trick the computer to think its in these conditions all the time?

cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
cubalz
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Magnolia, Delaware
Posts: 704
The transmission shift points are dictated by the rpms. My feeling is that the cooler temps and their denser charge are giving you enough "boost" to change the shift points. I dont think anyone on this board recommends any chips but I could be wrong...
__________________
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
cr8zynelly
Senior Member
 
cr8zynelly's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 790
Hmmm. So there's no way to trick the computer besides moving to San Diego?
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
jdnwport
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 17
I have done the same thing you have done and I did notice a difference too. I wanted to put a chip on my 03 v8 HO but no one makes one for that. I called Hypertec(which I live right by) and they told me they do not make anything for that kind. They said your engine is already putting out the highest.
jdnwport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
cr8zynelly
Senior Member
 
cr8zynelly's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnwport
I have done the same thing you have done and I did notice a difference too. I wanted to put a chip on my 03 v8 HO but no one makes one for that. I called Hypertec(which I live right by) and they told me they do not make anything for that kind. They said your engine is already putting out the highest.
JET makes a performance module. I actually had it but never installed for various reasons. Num 1 being I needed money at the time. I think you have to remove your coolant reservoir to install it directly to your ECU? Anyway lemme know what you end up doing. We could invent ice pack cone filter jackets and install freezers in our center consoles to make sure there always ready. ; )
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Kolak
Vendor
 
Kolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,909
Superchips makes a programmer for the 4.7 HO V8. It works really well and offers a choice of three programs depending on what octane fuel you'd like to run.

PM me if you'd like pricing - I have them on special right now.
__________________
Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
jdnwport
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly

JET makes a performance module. I actually had it but never installed for various reasons. Num 1 being I needed money at the time. I think you have to remove your coolant reservoir to install it directly to your ECU? Anyway lemme know what you end up doing. We could invent ice pack cone filter jackets and install freezers in our center consoles to make sure there always ready. ; )
I decided right now atleast I don't need one but I'm still wanting one.

Kolak- yea i will
jdnwport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Raptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
I have an 02' H.O. with a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster exhaust. The truck performs completely different depending on the outside or ambient temp . . The acceleration and even the shift points change. I don't need to looking at the outside temp gauge I know it will read between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this because of the cool dense air that this ambient temp produces?? Basically, would putting a chip in trick the computer to think its in these conditions all the time?
Check out this thread; talks about what if anything, a Superchips tuner will do on an '02 WJ w/ the HO motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...s-work-587132/
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
cr8zynelly
Senior Member
 
cr8zynelly's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

Check out this thread; talks about what if anything, a Superchips tuner will do on an '02 WJ w/ the HO motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...s-work-587132/
Thanks. Interesting banter. I wonder how many people have installed the Transgo Shift Kit?? And with how much success?
cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Raptor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
Thanks. Interesting banter. I wonder how many people have installed the Transgo Shift Kit?? And with how much success?
Most people who install them appear to like them a lot!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-kit-1154314/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...51/index3.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rland-1130827/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-kit-1160012/
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Frosty619
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Campo, California
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
Hmmm. So there's no way to trick the computer besides moving to San Diego?
I live in San Diego, it works great....
__________________
03' WJ, V8 Limited, Front & Rear IRO 4" Long arm(with front 3/4 spacers), tummy tuck cross member, transfercase skid, Bilstein 5100, Superchips, JKS discos, JK wheels (1 1/4 spacers), 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, Moog TRE's & HD SS, Hellwig rear sway bar, 3" Flowmaster 50, Kolak rear exhaust pipe, cabin filter kit, IRO sliders.
Frosty619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.