Noticiable Difference in Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noticiable Difference in Power

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Noticiable Difference in Power

I have an 02' H.O. with a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster exhaust. The truck performs completely different depending on the outside or ambient temp . . The acceleration and even the shift points change. I don't need to looking at the outside temp gauge I know it will read between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this because of the cool dense air that this ambient temp produces?? Basically, would putting a chip in trick the computer to think its in these conditions all the time?

cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission shift points are dictated by the rpms. My feeling is that the cooler temps and their denser charge are giving you enough "boost" to change the shift points. I dont think anyone on this board recommends any chips but I could be wrong...
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Hmmm. So there's no way to trick the computer besides moving to San Diego?
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
jdnwport
2003 WJ 

I have done the same thing you have done and I did notice a difference too. I wanted to put a chip on my 03 v8 HO but no one makes one for that. I called Hypertec(which I live right by) and they told me they do not make anything for that kind. They said your engine is already putting out the highest.
jdnwport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnwport
I have done the same thing you have done and I did notice a difference too. I wanted to put a chip on my 03 v8 HO but no one makes one for that. I called Hypertec(which I live right by) and they told me they do not make anything for that kind. They said your engine is already putting out the highest.
JET makes a performance module. I actually had it but never installed for various reasons. Num 1 being I needed money at the time. I think you have to remove your coolant reservoir to install it directly to your ECU? Anyway lemme know what you end up doing. We could invent ice pack cone filter jackets and install freezers in our center consoles to make sure there always ready. ; )
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

Superchips makes a programmer for the 4.7 HO V8. It works really well and offers a choice of three programs depending on what octane fuel you'd like to run.

PM me if you'd like pricing - I have them on special right now.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
jdnwport
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly

JET makes a performance module. I actually had it but never installed for various reasons. Num 1 being I needed money at the time. I think you have to remove your coolant reservoir to install it directly to your ECU? Anyway lemme know what you end up doing. We could invent ice pack cone filter jackets and install freezers in our center consoles to make sure there always ready. ; )
I decided right now atleast I don't need one but I'm still wanting one.

Kolak- yea i will
jdnwport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
I have an 02' H.O. with a K&N FIPK and Flowmaster exhaust. The truck performs completely different depending on the outside or ambient temp . . The acceleration and even the shift points change. I don't need to looking at the outside temp gauge I know it will read between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this because of the cool dense air that this ambient temp produces?? Basically, would putting a chip in trick the computer to think its in these conditions all the time?
Check out this thread; talks about what if anything, a Superchips tuner will do on an '02 WJ w/ the HO motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...s-work-587132/
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

Check out this thread; talks about what if anything, a Superchips tuner will do on an '02 WJ w/ the HO motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...s-work-587132/
Thanks. Interesting banter. I wonder how many people have installed the Transgo Shift Kit?? And with how much success?
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Raptor

Quote:
Thanks. Interesting banter. I wonder how many people have installed the Transgo Shift Kit?? And with how much success?
Most people who install them appear to like them a lot!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-kit-1154314/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...51/index3.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rland-1130827/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...t-kit-1160012/
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Frosty619
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Hmmm. So there's no way to trick the computer besides moving to San Diego?
I live in San Diego, it works great....
03' WJ, V8 Limited, Front & Rear IRO 4" Long arm(with front 3/4 spacers), tummy tuck cross member, transfercase skid, Bilstein 5100, Superchips, JKS discos, JK wheels (1 1/4 spacers), 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, Moog TRE's & HD SS, Hellwig rear sway bar, 3" Flowmaster 50, Kolak rear exhaust pipe, cabin filter kit, IRO sliders.
Frosty619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.