Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Not sure what to do next: fuel filter issues

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  steve_80 
#1 ·
Not sure what to do next: fuel filter noise issues (Wix, Mopar)

Hi,

Last week I had a shop install a Napa Gold (Wix) filter... right away it was making the loud whistle, I couldn't drive it at all. Today I had them install the Mopar one. The whistle is still there.
How do I get rid of the noise?

The Mopar filter they installed is 68193494AA. I see that wjjeeps.com shows it should be 52100283AG. I also see that 68193495AA is another option.

#4 ·
I installed my Wix fuel filter in my WJ a few years back and no whistle. I did prime it with gas though, so there was little to no air being pushed through the fuel system. Could trapped air be causing the whining sound?

#8 ·
Yes, but not after they fix this one. I can't drive this thing without covering my ears, let alone have the kids in it.

Their response to this issue now is "well it's the factory OEM part". They never heard of a whistling fuel filter before.

Also, they bent my rear diff plate a while ago which caused repeat leaks, when they put a new one on the other day they stripped a bolt hole and had to re-thread it or something (re-sleeve?).

#9 ·
Mopar fuel filter/pressure regulator

Hi,

Last week I had a shop install a Napa Gold (Wix) filter... right away it was making the loud whistle, I couldn't drive it at all. Today I had them install the Mopar one. The whistle is still there.
How do I get rid of the noise?

The Mopar filter they installed is 68193494AA. I see that wjjeeps.com shows it should be 52100283AG. I also see that 68193495AA is another option.
2002 Grand Cherokee limited 4.7
My fuel filter change resulted in a similar very annoying whistle. I ordered a Mopar fuel filter/ pressure regulator part number 68193495AA (alternate number 52100283AG) from Rock Auto. After installing, the Jeep ran fine but the whistle was there. I sent the part back and got a replacement. Same brand Mopar. Same part number. Installed it and no whistle.
Guess it was my turn to get a faulty Mopar part this time.
102,000 MILES LATER STILL RUNNING GREAT!

#10 ·
2002 Grand Cherokee limited 4.7
My fuel filter change resulted in a similar very annoying whistle. I ordered a Mopar fuel filter/ pressure regulator part number 68193495AA (alternate number 52100283AG) from Rock Auto. After installing, the Jeep ran fine but the whistle was there. I sent the part back and got a replacement. Same brand Mopar. Same part number. Installed it and no whistle.
Guess it was my turn to get a faulty Mopar part this time.
102,000 MILES LATER STILL RUNNING GREAT!
Did you put any lubrication on the o-rings or fill it with gas before installing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.