Noisy ground loop WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noisy ground loop WJ

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
GrandPrix104
1999 WJ 

Wj Noisy ground loop WJ

I am looking for information specific to the WJ only. I have read everything there is online to do with Ground Loops, and just need specific advise. When driving during the day there is zero noise produced through my aftermarket amplifier. As soon as I turn on any of the lights I hear a buzz. It gets louder as the dash, then fog, then headlights, then spotlights come on. Being that there is zero noise when the lights are off I know I have a good ground on the seat bracket. My question is where to locate my upgraded chassis to NEG ground wire. I currently have it connected to the factory ground bolt nearest the NEG battery post on the fender. Can I do something else to quiet up the lights?

PS Before you ask, I use all factory speaker wiring and do not have the power wires run by them.

Unread 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
kastner03
2000 WJ 

when i did my system i ran 2ga from battery to fender and another one from the engine block to battery that eliminated most of it the rest was eliminated when i ran a 14ga ground from the head unit right to the floor of the vehicle, i too only had noise when the lights were on

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
GrandPrix104
1999 WJ 

Was it the factory or an aftermarket HU? I will upgrade the engine block to battery ground soon.
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
kastner03
2000 WJ 

i tried 2 diff after market ones and the factory with the factory one i ran a line level converter wired in at the stock amp they all had the same noise issue

Unread 12-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
kastner03
2000 WJ 

when u do the block ground put it as close to the alternator as possible do a search for big 3 upgrade itll explain doing both grounds and upgrading your alternator feed wire which will help with recharging your batt faster

Unread 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
MiCrOz

I had this same problem and solved it by running a new ground for the stereo, stereo's case, and stock Infinity amp
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
GrandPrix104
1999 WJ 

Micros, When you upgraded your grounds did you attach all of them to the same point, the battery, or just to the chassis nearby? I just want this done right the first time. Also, would upgrading any of the wiring to the lighting circuits help with this? Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
MiCrOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPrix104 View Post
Micros, When you upgraded your grounds did you attach all of them to the same point, the battery, or just to the chassis nearby? I just want this done right the first time. Also, would upgrading any of the wiring to the lighting circuits help with this? Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Ran to new chassis grounds, specifically to a bolt under the center console, shifter area. If that doesn't work, you might have a bad ground strap or negative connection to the battery. If you have an ohmmeter/multimeter, check the resistance from a ground point on the chassis to the negative battery cable, anything greater than around 1ohm and you have too high a resistance, and probably require replacing your ground straps and/or negative battery cable.

None of your lighting circuitry should effect the noise you hear. You might hear the noise pitch change with the lights on/off and such, but the same happens for any electrical component (sometimes under WOT the noise coming thru the speakers sounds like a supercharger, due to the power the alternator is putting out).

Edit: Also, make sure you use a decent size wire for your ground, too thin could create resistance, and not solve your problem even with a good ground. Better to be too big and a bit cumbersome than too small and not fix your problem.
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

make sure all your amplifiers are grounded to the same spot and that spot has been scraped to metal where the bolt contacts the cable/chassis.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Check that woven metal strap to the exhaust pipe too. About mid way down & approximately under the front pass seat It was put there for that very reason and they are prone to rotting & breaking.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.