Noise under rear passenger wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Noise under rear passenger wheel

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
tonydotigr

Wj Noise under rear passenger wheel

Greetings!

I recently started to get this rattle when going over bumps on rear passenger wheel area. I replaced the shocks so I'm confident its not this. The muffler also looks well secured. Any other ideas what it might be? It happens when going over bumps with speed and almost seems like a slight rattle. Could it be the sway bar? Many years back I believe this was upgraded. Just curious if others have experienced.

Thanks all.

'03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
126K miles

tonydotigr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

It's the aftermarket shocks, clunk in the rear is caused because the bolts are smaller than the bolt sleeves.

This is what I used to fix it when mine did it.
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/wj...of-four-p-153/

Belvidere, IL cool I'm in rockford.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Aftermarket shock bushings are narrower than factory. Most people just place 2 or so washers in between the shock bushing and mount...that's what I did, and it has worked well.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Aftermarket shock bushings are narrower than factory. Most people just place 2 or so washers in between the shock bushing and mount...that's what I did, and it has worked well.
I tried that first and it didn't work for me they still rattled, I ended up buying the sleeves and bolts.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
wj_runner99
1999 WJ 

Had the same issue! All I did was back the bolt out a little and put some thread locker on em'. Then used a breaker bar and tightened the hell out of them. That was a tear ago and haven't had an issue since.
wj_runner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Could be the right rear parking break assembly. I just had the issue. You will need to remove the rotor to check but i am sure that might be it.
l_---l_l__l---[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]llllll[[COLOR="yellow"]o[/COLOR]]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)[/COLOR]

[SIZE="5"]If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.[/SIZE]

---My Chariots past and present---

[COLOR="red"]1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 196,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="yellow"]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 161,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Sold[/B]
[COLOR="blue"]2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 147,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
[COLOR="green"]2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.6L Stroker 122,000 miles.[/COLOR] [B]Own[/B]
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

What about the swaybar endlinks or even the evap canister? The mounting plates rust out and it could be knocking around in there...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
tonydotigr

Thanks all, gonna start with the bolt/bolt sleeves with the aftermarket shocks because it started shortly after those were installed.
tonydotigr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj_runner99
had the same issue! All i did was back the bolt out a little and put some thread locker on em'. Then used a breaker bar and tightened the hell out of them. That was a tear ago and haven't had an issue since.
x2

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.