Noise from a Bearing at the back - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Zx9r-Driver

Noise from a Bearing at the back

Hi,

I just bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (2000) today. But when I'm driving around 80km/h I can hear a noise from a bearing in the back of the car. I head this is a common problem of the Jeep. The noise isn't very loud but it's a little bit annoying.
The noise is only when I'm driving around 80km/h. When I'm in the city, I can't hear anything.
Should I go to a garage and let them change the bearings or is that noise normal? Because they'll always say "yes you have to change the bearings" and charge you a lot of money for that.
But I might have to say that I'm planning to go on a big trip, so its important that everything is fine.

(my mother tongue is German and I'm still learning English so I'm sorry for the grammar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

What kind of noise? The bearings shoudnt make any noise. So if youre hearing noise, then there is most likely a problem.

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
survivor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
i would jack up rear and use choke on ur front tires to prevent rolling. and grab two jack stands and place it on the axle and have someone in the jeep and put 1st gear and let it spinning. ( your rear wheel is up the air) and u can go underneath and listen it. Maybe it will help you?> if your not a mechanic. then i would take it to the shops to get few options then go from there? Hope this helps.

Your english (grammars) is alright!! smiles.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
survivor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
IF it make a noise. then you have a carrier bearing/ pinion bearing to be replace asap. ( forgot to add)

I agreed with pinky2252s comments.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Zx9r-Driver

Ok, thats what I thougt. I was just wondering if its normal, because I found this when I was asking google

http://ezinearticles.com/?Jeep-Grand...ing&id=1879944

He says its normal if the differentials make some noise, so I was thinking it's maybe a normal noise. Because I brought it to a prepurchase inspektion before I bought it and they said everything is fine...
post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 AM
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx9r-Driver
Ok, thats what I thougt. I was just wondering if its normal, because I found this when I was asking google

http://ezinearticles.com/?Jeep-Grand...ing&id=1879944

He says its normal if the differentials make some noise, so I was thinking it's maybe a normal noise. Because I brought it to a prepurchase inspektion before I bought it and they said everything is fine...
Well if your talking about the differential then it could just be low on fluid, or it isnt thick enough. I was talking about the wheel bearings before. But you should track down where the sound is coming from then we can see whats normal and abnormal

Is it broken?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 AM
survivor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Almost everybody use 75w90 mobil one or purple royal. You can check the fluid by urself. make sure ur jeep is park and flat surface. and remove the drain plug and use ur pinkie finger go in the axle. if not touch ur or little abit. Your running low. Should fill it up til it start coming out of the drain plug then you can install the drain plug and ur all set.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Zx9r-Driver

I can't say if the noise comes from one of the wheel bearings or from the differential, but it is coming from the back of the car. I looked under the car but I think I cant reach this drain plug and I also have no tools to remove the drain plug. (if I need tools for that) I think I'll go to a garage tomorrow.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Zx9r-Driver

My friend (a mechanic) made a test drive withe the jeep today and he said everything is fine. The sound comes from the rear differential. Its like the problem that is described in the Link that I've posted. So its nothing to worry about as long it is not getting louder.
(he checked the fluid in the differential)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.