no steering stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no steering stabilizer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

no steering stabilizer

i'm on a 4" lift and currently have no steering stabilizer since mine broke. i'm getting bad vibrations, feels like the front axle anything over 45mph. could this be because of the stabilizer? can't think of anything else it could be.

4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Wj

It came with one from the factory so, yes, replace what's missing and that may correct the vibrations. With a 4" lift you will want to get a heavy duty SS (steering stabilizer).

In the meantime, use this opportunity to find worn parts. Have a friend sit in the seat with it turned off and bump the steering wheel left to right while you are underneath watching, listening, and touching all moving joints with your hand. Try to find any binding, odd movement for a joint, or looseness. You didn't mention Death Wobble so I won't assume you have it, but check my links in the event a new steering stabilizer doesn't correct the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted. Share what you find, if anything.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

no death wobble. all my TRE's are replaced and i have a new MOOG SS being shipped right now but i won't get it until Thursday and it's my DD. when i was stock i ran without one for at least 6 months and didn't feel a difference.
4x4Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It's not because you don't have a steering stabilizer.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Vibrations from the road? Only thing a steering stabilizer does is help with bumps or pot holes it slows the steering wheel from being jerked, guess you'll find out when you install it.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

my death wobble in the past were caused by two things only.... tires (unbalanced, badly/poorly worn), and track bar not being tight.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Could be front DS. I just put mine back in and get a vibe at 45 and up. Ujoints are on the way.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
berndog67
2003 WJ 

yeah def the front driveshaft, check the u-joints for play, if not then u need uca's to get the pinion angle back closer to oe spec, im at 4" on stock arms til whenever my long arm kit decides to show up and i dont have any death wobble, and i ran without the steering stabilizer for 2 weeks waiting for a new one (damaged the original offroad), course i had replaced 4 ends, wheel bearings, and most u-joints a month prior to the lift, so def dont listen to anyone saying that there vibrations were fixed with a new steering stabilizer, it only masks the real problem(s) until it wears out again
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.