No start, lights, NOTHING. *ive searched* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No start, lights, NOTHING. *ive searched*

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
joshua106
2004 WJ 

No start, lights, NOTHING. *ive searched*

Okay so, before anyone says anything, I know there is a search feature, and I have used it extensively, and I've tried everything I've found.

Earlier today I got in my jeep and rode about 2 miles total. Everything was fine and normal. About 1 1/2 hours later I get in and notice my lights didn't turn on when I opened the door like they normally do. So I tried to start it, and nothing happened. So I went in and brought my dad out, and he tried. The interior lights came on but they were very dim. Second time he tried, the gauges went crazy. When he would turn on the headlights, the gauge back lights would flicker really quickly, and same thing for the turning signals, and hazards. Now, after we've replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals we got it to start once. That one time it started up like normal. Ever since then it's done nothing. Absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key.
I really hope this is a semi cheap fix because there isn't money available to be thrown at everything electrical as 100 bucks for a battery was already wasted.

Thanks for the help

Unread 10-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
new2site
2002 WJ 

When I replaced my battery cable terminals (yes...terminals only..not entire cables) ..upon cutting off old terminal and stripping back cable insulation for new connection I was shocked to see both cables (underneath insulation) were thoroughly "caked" with corrosion. Yours could be this way too and when you were moving them around (cleaning terminals / putting new battery in) that could've loosened up some of the corrosion to get that one start out of it. Take them off battery... bend them back & forth a bit and put them back on and see if you get another start.

If that doesn't do anything bring your alternator in to your local auto parts store for a free test.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
joshua106
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site
When I replaced my battery cable terminals (yes...terminals only..not entire cables) ..upon cutting off old terminal and stripping back cable insulation for new connection I was shocked to see both cables (underneath insulation) were thoroughly "caked" with corrosion. Yours could be this way too and when you were moving them around (cleaning terminals / putting new battery in) that could've loosened up some of the corrosion to get that one start out of it. Take them off battery... bend them back & forth a bit and put them back on and see if you get another start. If that doesn't do anything bring your alternator in to your local auto parts store for a free test.
Thanks man! I replaced the terminals and the wire was corroded like crazy for like an inch and a half of wire. Works now!
Unread 10-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua106 View Post
Thanks man! I replaced the terminals and the wire was corroded like crazy for like an inch and a half of wire. Works now!

Awesome!!

I was kind of "going out on a limb" on that one too...
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.