No Reverse Lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > No Reverse Lights

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns_1 View Post
I pulled the wire connector off and reconnected it with no luck. There is not a Neutral Safety Switch on the 45/545. I only see the speed input and speed output sensors. For now I am assuming it is the solenoid in the transmission. I have gotten use to my "manual" reverse lights, so I think I am just going to run that setup for now. I went ahead and tapped my roof rack lights into my reverse lights, so I have plenty of light back there now!
Yes your correct the reverse switch is in transmission. Its not cheap to repair as I believe you have to replace the solenoid pack. There was a member here who tracked the fault down and repaied it. He did post results but started a few threads before finally posting results but you probably find his posts with a bit of searching

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
buns_1
2004 WJ 

My reverse lights mysteriously started working again last night. I am not going to complain.
Unread Yesterday, 02:01 AM   #18
RoyalHawk
2002 WJ 

My reverse lights sometimes work and sometimes not, since one month ago. I noticed that it happens more when the transmission is hot. Checked fluid level, color and smell and i ok (last change was about 70000 km ago). I noticed also that when putting the lever to "P", I have the sensation that something is blocking a little bit the lever. Everything is working...any suggestion ?
(2002 WJ 4.7 V8 Overland)

Ex 1999 WJ 4.7 V8 - USA Original.
RoyalHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:39 AM   #19
utekking
2004 WJ 

I posted elsewhere about my end results. I will assume you have the 545 Tranny?? If you do, it's a solenoid pack on top of the valve body. I puled mine out last October and replaced it with one from ebay and never had an issue since. If you have the 545 tranny, I can get you the part number. They are not cheap but I got a new one off ebay for $65. Almost fell over when I won the bid so cheap. They go upwards of 200 and up!!!
utekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:38 AM   #20
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Its real simple to test a swicth.....
FSM says;
To test the switch, remove the wiring connector.
Test for continuity between the center terminal and
the transmission case. Continuity should exist only
when the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Shift the transmission into REVERSE and test
continuity at the switch outer terminals. Continuity
should exist only when the transmission is in
REVERSE. Continuity should not exist between the
outer terminals and the case.
Check gearshift linkage adjustment before replacing
a switch that tests faulty.

As far as reverse lights, you can short the lights GND in the NSS connector to GND with the engine running and the rev. lights should illuminate, if not than your problem is elsewhere. Next I would verify the hi side of the wiring and verify its high when needed. WJ also have corrosion issues with there taillight sockets......this is all basic troubleshooting stuff.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:47 PM   #21
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by utekking View Post
I posted elsewhere about my end results. I will assume you have the 545 Tranny?? If you do, it's a solenoid pack on top of the valve body. I puled mine out last October and replaced it with one from ebay and never had an issue since. If you have the 545 tranny, I can get you the part number. They are not cheap but I got a new one off ebay for $65. Almost fell over when I won the bid so cheap. They go upwards of 200 and up!!!
The TRSS sits under the solenoid pack, at least the mechanical part of it does. I am not sure if the switch is part of the solenoid pack or not. He says he has the (5)45RFE, so there is no NSS, it the Transmission Range Selector Switch.

I cannot verify if it is a part of the solenoid pack or not, but they go for $200-$300 on eBay:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=261157368015
Might be worth a try to reseat the connector on top of the yransmission.
Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.