no reverse! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no reverse!

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
hullfm
2004 WJ 

no reverse!

hi guys, I have a 04 Grand cherokee 4,0 l 6 select track with 80,000 miles, my new problem is I have no reverse, it drives in forward ok, any ideas would be great thanks in advance

hullfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Reverse clutch could be smoked or your reverse band is out of adjustment. (or broke)
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
hullfm
2004 WJ 

well i had to put a rebuilt tranny in it to the tune of 1500 dollars, not sure what was wrong with it, the shop that did the work had one ready to go on the shelf, so my wife got a transmission for Christmas this year!
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

If you would have removed the tranny pan I bet you would have found a portion of what appeared to be a huge snap ring. Its a very common problem.
Remove drive shafts and transfer case
Remove bolts holding od unit to front half of the trans.
Slide rear ward and be careful with the park rod.
On a bench note order of thrust washer and spacer
Remove od clutch pack retaining rtying and wavy ring
Remove od clutches and note order for reassembly
Remove direct drive unit
In a shop press, depress the direct drive pack enough to remove the remainder of the ring and then insert the new ring.

Reassemble

You really should buy the fsm before doing this job.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Terminal
2000 WJ 

The snap ring is broken in the overdrive unit. How do I know? Guess...

If anyone has this problem in the future, you'll also need a shaft alignment tool to align the clutch packs and since you're in there you'll want to replace those clutches with new and buy a new bearing and thrust washers. You'll need access to a shop press for sure.

The guy at http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/ is a really cool guy and has everything you need. It's where I bought all of my parts from.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
hullfm
2004 WJ 

i wonder how long until the snap ring breaks again?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.