no heat till you drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no heat till you drive

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
twowlcruzer

Wj no heat till you drive

ok.. this is odd. I can start my jeep in the drive way and let it idle or just start and take off.. but until its been running awhile I cant get any heat at idle. it can be at temperature just idling after start up in the driveway. but no heat till I get the rpms up and or drive it. then all the sudden I have heat at idle after that.. its only right after its started.. and been running at temp for a lil while.. very strange.. no water in the oil. no loss of coolant.. the blowers speeds are all there.. modes all work.. so.. who knows..

twowlcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I wonder if you have an air bubble that is getting trapped in your heater core...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Ep3tch
2004 WJ 

Did you try a new thermostat?
Ep3tch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

I noticed mine will never get up to running temp at just idle. I have let it run in my driveway for 30 mins and it won't blow hot air. but as soon as I drive and get down the road 1/4 mile, I got heat.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
-OIIIIIIIO-01
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowlcruzer
ok.. this is odd. I can start my jeep in the drive way and let it idle or just start and take off.. but until its been running awhile I cant get any heat at idle. it can be at temperature just idling after start up in the driveway. but no heat till I get the rpms up and or drive it. then all the sudden I have heat at idle after that.. its only right after its started.. and been running at temp for a lil while.. very strange.. no water in the oil. no loss of coolant.. the blowers speeds are all there.. modes all work.. so.. who knows..
Do you have the electric dual temp unit? Sometimes it seems like the heat coming out needs to be a certain temp before blowing out?
A trick I do is turn it up to high, then low, then back to high. It starts blowing cold air till the vehicle warms up.
-OIIIIIIIO-01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OIIIIIIIO-01 View Post
Do you have the electric dual temp unit? Sometimes it seems like the heat coming out needs to be a certain temp before blowing out?
That's how the dual climate is designed... It won't let the blower fan engage until the heat comes up to a certain temp.

As far as changing your thermostat that's not your problem.
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
twowlcruzer

its a standard controller.. and thermostat is working fine when monitoring the temp guage.. im thinking it may be the controller.. ?!?!?!?
twowlcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
JustStew
2004 WJ 

Have the dual zone and mine would do the same thing....blower would start and everything but it wouldn't go hot till about a mile down the road. I bled the system and it fixed it
JustStew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is doing the same thing. I chalked it up to extremely cold temps here but as it has warmed up (and I use that term loosely) it hasn't got much better. I have been smelling antifreeze lately but I am not losing any. I was think a bad heater core but I don't have any signs of that and It heats up fine once drive. I will have to look into bleeding the system.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I think you might have a clogged heater core. The pressure of driving it is pushing the hotter water into the core when you are driving, but with the pressure only at idle, it's not enough. Did you try flushing your heater core? Perhaps with the chemical kind that dissolves calcium build-up?

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
wj-jeepdrew

Yea I agree. Sounds like you have a clog in the system.
wj-jeepdrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

or a faulty water pump. Pull the pump and check the condition of the timing chain cover and the water channels under the water pump.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
or a faulty water pump. Pull the pump and check the condition of the timing chain cover and the water channels under the water pump.
Doh! Forgot about the water pump!

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.