no defrost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > no defrost

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
1999_GC
1999 WJ 

Wj no defrost

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 V8. When I put the defrost on, air only comes out of the vents near the floor. All of the other vents work fine. Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Winter is coming and I need the defroster.

Thanks.

1999_GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
1999_GC
1999 WJ 

No one has ever had this problem? Anyone??? Come on guys.... help me out here.
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
seu83
2002 WJ 

Not sure if this is similar or if will even help but my friend has an xj with what sounds like the same issue. He has no defrost but the other vents work fine. But if he's going down the road and punches it enough to where it down shifts and he's running at a higher rpm the defrost kicks right on. Turns out it was a vacume leak.
seu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

check the vacuum hoses. Also the servo under the battery. there's quite bit of info on here about that problem is ya search.
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
1999_GC
1999 WJ 

The attached diagram shows the vacuum for the manual a/c controls. If I am reading this right, the defrost mode is normally open The other vents work properly,

I checked the vacuum readings at the controls and had a vacuum reading of 8 Hg at every setting which leads me to believe I do not have a vacuum issue.

Could the actuator be jammed?
defrost-vacuum.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You say only the floor vents work and then you say all the other vents work fine. Which is it? If it will not "switch" from floor to another setting (ie defrost, panel, etc) then it's likely to be a disconnected vacuum line. Easy fix. Check the intake for disconnected lines. Mine did this last winter. Cruise control wouldn't work either.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
1999_GC
1999 WJ 

Well I solved the problem. The actuator for the defrost door was broken. Here is a photo of the new part that I got from a junk yard today. Pretty easy fix.
jeep-actuator.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.