Night time brake lights not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Night time brake lights not working

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Blakehenry96
1999 WJ 

Night time brake lights not working

For some reason my brake lights don't work. They work when I don't have headlights on, but when I turn my headlights on they don't come on as the running lights, but if I push the brake they work. I replaced the brake switch fuse and still nothing

Blakehenry96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you have bad housings, very common on the WJ. You can get new ones on E-Bay for about $35 each.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Blakehenry96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Sounds like you have bad housings, very common on the WJ. You can get new ones on E-Bay for about $35 each.
it's not because I don't have the stock tail lights, I have the spyder taillights and when it went out when I was put a led in the side post
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

I recently put the CG LED Taillights on my WJ and found that the aftermarket connector for the taillight housing did not initially seat completely with the stock connector, then when I made it fit, it pushed a pin into the stock side connector. Pulled that out and carefully connected them and no issue now. Check the connector on both sides and look for bent/pushed in pins.
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Blakehenry96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast
I recently put the CG LED Taillights on my WJ and found that the aftermarket connector for the taillight housing did not initially seat completely with the stock connector, then when I made it fit, it pushed a pin into the stock side connector. Pulled that out and carefully connected them and no issue now. Check the connector on both sides and look for bent/pushed in pins.
I'll check that but it was working when I plugged them back up
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

FWIW, mine worked fine for a day or two, then acted up when I pulled them back out to replace the cheap incandescent bulbs they shipped with better incandescent bulbs for the reverse and turn signal.

It could also be improper resistance with LED bulbs if the housings were set up for incandescent bulbs - if you have the old bulbs try putting them back in and see if that is it.
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Blakehenry96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast
FWIW, mine worked fine for a day or two, then acted up when I pulled them back out to replace the cheap incandescent bulbs they shipped with better incandescent bulbs for the reverse and turn signal. It could also be improper resistance with LED bulbs if the housings were set up for incandescent bulbs - if you have the old bulbs try putting them back in and see if that is it.
I did and unplugged to see if I had bad prongs and they are good
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son-of-Beast View Post
FWIW, mine worked fine for a day or two, then acted up when I pulled them back out to replace the cheap incandescent bulbs they shipped with better incandescent bulbs for the reverse and turn signal. It could also be improper resistance with LED bulbs if the housings were set up for incandescent bulbs - if you have the old bulbs try putting them back in and see if that is it.
Just to let you know, that's only for turn signals. The resistance is for the correct capacitor discharge in the flasher module. That's why, when there's no resistor with the LED, or a bad bulb, it hyper-flashes.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.