newbie from uk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > newbie from uk

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
stevesouthern
2000 WJ 

newbie from uk

Hi everyone, been looking on here for a while & liked it! Got a 2000 wj 4.7 quadradrive with 2" BB planning a lot of mods this year.

stevesouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
HARRISON111
2004 WJ 

Hi mate welcome to the forum, what mods you got planned
HARRISON111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
stevesouthern
2000 WJ 

Im about to order some black 'D' modular wheels in 8x16 with 3.75 backspace, thinking prob 265/70/16 tyres. Im in process of building a winch bumper & gonna cut out arches up to the flare line front & rear, re locate washer bottle,

Soon as funds allow id like to lift it properly with long arms but hard to find the bits in uk! I did the BB 2" to clear my 245/75/16 bf goodrich at's but theyre worn down now & I want to go bigger.

Just put a cherrybomb glasspack on & gutted cat. ( its lpg converted so no emissions test in uk)
Unread 05-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
MWF
2002 WJ 

Way to go Steve, sounds good, decently modified UK WJ's are a bit thin on the ground

Check out the Jeep Junkies club, they hold events over in Hereford which may be good for you.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Welcome...the more UK Jeepers the better as far as im concerned! But you are right in that getting bits in the UK can be difficult when it comes to mods. I import most of my bits from the US....when I find them with sensible shipping. Sound like you might be looking at some flares too with that wheel tyre combination....unless you have a friendly MOT man, tyres sticking out of the arches will be an instant fail!
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
w33mud
2006 WK 

Hi & welcome,I get lots of inspiration & problem solving from this forum.Are you making the winch bumper yourself?
w33mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Welcome. Glad to see some Jeeping on the other side of the pond. I bet a tank of fuel hurts you a bit more than it hurts me, and my last one was 72 USD.
kdsimmons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsimmons19 View Post
Welcome. Glad to see some Jeeping on the other side of the pond. I bet a tank of fuel hurts you a bit more than it hurts me, and my last one was 72 USD.
In my case 108 (UK) from nearly dry the other day...thats about $164 US!! Thats $9.64 per (proper size UK!)gallon or $8.00 per US gallon....and you guys wonder why we like our diesels in the UK!!!
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
In my case 108 (UK) from nearly dry the other day...thats about $164 US!! Thats $9.64 per (proper size UK!)gallon or $8.00 per US gallon....and you guys wonder why we like our diesels in the UK!!!
Jesus tapdancing christ. I put 19.75 gallons worth of 93 octane in at about $3.66 per gallon. This will last about one week.

How long will that Cnote and a half worth of petrol last you?

I wish we could get more diesels here. You really can't find them except in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. The only others are really from Mercedes, a couple BMW's, and a few VW's. Of course Jeep is releasing a diesel to the US next year, but its base price is 40 grand. I think Mazda might also be bringing one to the table.
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

It's a diesel , although there is only a few pence difference between the cost of petrol and diesel...diesel being the more expensive due to the bloody tree loving, bunny hugging, hippies who make these decisions! I get about 500 miles on a full tank if I fill it to the top of the neck, run it to about 30 miles past zero miles range on the EVIC (like normal!) and don't have a lead foot!
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
kdsimmons19
2004 WJ 

Thought you might appreciate this. Diesel in central NC is currently going for $3.55 per gallon. Later this year I will move to SC with my job and the cost of regular petrol near where my house will be is $3.08 per gallon.
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

Here in the UK we would like our fuel to be cheaper like the US, but last year I broke my wrist and needed surgery to get
it fixed with a plate and screws plus 2 days in hospital, which personally didn't cost me anything at the time as our health
service is paid for by the government from taxes. Did a google search for the cost in the US and came back with $20-30K !!!
So I'm happy to pay higher fuel bills knowing I wont be hit with medical bills like that for something simple like my wrist.
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
stevesouthern
2000 WJ 

Thanks everyone, I got the D modulars on with 265/75/16 insa turbo dakars. Very pleased so far. Ive been looking into a rough country 4" lift as my bb is no longer enough!

Petrol is so expensive in uk but im also on lpg (61p a litre by me) so not tooo bad!
Hoping to get my roofrack & 4 roof lights on this wk. Having a custom winch mount made them im fabbing a 3mm alloy winch bumper over it as I work with alloy & its lighter than steel. Ive also cut out front arches & got rid of the flat faced part. Easy to do with a 1mm grinding disc & plastic edging strip, took a lot of steel out of inner arches too.
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
stevesouthern
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Way to go Steve, sounds good, decently modified UK WJ's are a bit thin on the ground

Check out the Jeep Junkies club, they hold events over in Hereford which may be good for you.
Will do, thanx
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
stevesouthern
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdsimmons19 View Post
Jesus tapdancing christ. I put 19.75 gallons worth of 93 octane in at about $3.66 per gallon. This will last about one week.

How long will that Cnote and a half worth of petrol last you?

I wish we could get more diesels here. You really can't find them except in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. The only others are really from Mercedes, a couple BMW's, and a few VW's. Of course Jeep is releasing a diesel to the US next year, but its base price is 40 grand. I think Mazda might also be bringing one to the table.
I get about 40 miles out of 20 of petrol in uk if im lucky & its got worse since the 265/75/16 mud tyres went on

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.