Newbie Transmission issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Newbie Transmission issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Seantroost12
2000 WJ 

Newbie Transmission issues

Hey, I'm new to working on vehicles and my father inlaw told me to post my issue here because he is camping. Him and I have done a motor swap recently.

I have a WJ with a 4.7 motor and a 5-45rfe transmission.

The jeep gives me no codes as of right now. The code it gave two days ago was p1968.

The first thing I noticed is when I start the jeep I see o/d off and then it goes off like it should. I hit the o/d button on the "Shifter" and nothing happens. It dosn't show the o/d off like it should. ( I dont drive it with the over drive off )

Now when I take off it feels like I have no power at all. The Transmission feels like its slipping. When I manually go to 1st gear and then change to second gear it doesn't switch to second gear it stays into 1st. When I go into Drive it will go into that but only up to 50 and I dont feel like going faster because the RPS goes up close to 3 1/2. I cant figure this problem out so I was hoping someone could help me out. Thank you for your time and I hope I can hear from someone soon. - Sean

Seantroost12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
asatxj
2001 WJ 

We have a rebuilt trans with 30k that we may swap (I'm dad in law btw) but if it can be solved it would be nice. He will be swapping the TCM as a scan tool says the trans isn't communicating with the TCM. Update on that soon. If not we are off to swap a trans!
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Hopefully it'll be an easy fix. Could be either the TCM, or possible the electrical connection to it where the issue is. Maybe check the connector/wiring first to see if anything looks amiss?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
asatxj
2001 WJ 

Connectors appear fine. We'll change the TCM and see what happens. We bought that Jeep with bad timing chains so we didn't drive it. this may have been an existing problem. More news soon.
ASAT= All Season All Terrain
asatxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Hopefully an easy fix......

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
GPrime2

Check your fuses, I had a nasty time trying to get a WJ to start a while back that was rooted in the engine not communicating with the ECM, and it ended up being a blown fuse that didn't look blown. I think in my case it was the 10amp ECM memory fuse in the PDC, but check anything related to the transmission and swap it to make sure that's not causing your TCM no communication error. It sounds like it's electrical though, either a fuse, TCM, or wiring leading to/inside your trans. Good luck, hope it's something easy.
GPrime2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.