Newbie: More Blend Door issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Newbie: More Blend Door issues

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 10-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Newbie: More Blend Door issues

Hello-

New proud Jeep owner here. Of course when I say new, I mean new to me. I have a friend/mechanic that flips cars to pay his way through school. Him and I agreed on a straight up trade; my '00 Yukon, for his '02 Jeep GC Limited. Before we traded he had to change the heater core because it was leaking. Last night was the first cold night I needed to use the heat. I noticed it was only blowing hot on the passenger side and ice cold on the drivers. So I googled it and found various tips and advice from persons that had the same issue. So naturally I assumed based on my symptoms that my blend doors were not functioning correctly. I can here them working especially after you turn the jeep off, you can here them move back to home position (I assume). But when I asked the friend I got the Jeep from what he thought his answer was he had the Blend door assy out and it was fine. So then I figured it just needed a recalibration. So I did so using THIS tip I found on this forum. I assume I did it correctly since after I turned the key on I could here the doors moving open/closed. I didn't wait "At least a minute" like suggested since they stopped moving after about 20 seconds or so. But still no heat on drivers side.

So what else is there? could one of the motors be bad? if so which one. I know the one on the passenger side is fairly easy to access, but the drivers side means a dash removal. Am I right?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to many years of Jeep-dom!

tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

search blend door on here. or google blen dor store or heater treater. the quickest way is to pull the error codes from the HVAC unit. turn key on. press both the A/C button and recirc button at the same time....while holding these two buttons down turn the drivers side temp knob on click to the right. see what codes display on the screen of the hvac. then look up these codes online.

you can fix both sides without removing dash.
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
GregC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue04WJ View Post
search blend door on here. or google blen dor store or heater treater. the quickest way is to pull the error codes from the HVAC unit. turn key on. press both the A/C button and recirc button at the same time....while holding these two buttons down turn the drivers side temp knob on click to the right. see what codes display on the screen of the hvac. then look up these codes online.

you can fix both sides without removing dash.
i did this to mine and it shows "0" is that ok?
the write up says if all is good then it should be "00"
GregC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

ya, 0 means no codes.
Unread 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The motors almost never go bad. It's 99.9% likely that the blend door axle is broken for the driver's side door (there are two blend doors, one for each side of dual-control). I used the Blen Dor Store single-control replacement and it is very well made and very easy to install and fixed it 100%. Mopar offers a slightly cheaper kit which I don't like as much because it still uses plastic parts. HeaterTreater has a similar kit which is apparently more expensive than both.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Thank you all that replied. I believe I fixed my issue. The friend I got the jeep from said the collar on the motor had some cracks in it. He said he used epoxy and zip tied it. I took the motor off and found that it appeared to be either spinning on the doors shaft since the cracks had spread and it was now oblong. Or the zip ties themselves were hitting on the housing of the vent exterior (where the one screw goes). I trimmed a bit off with a side cutters and re-zip tied and super glued the collar while forcing it back to shape by slightly squeezing it with a vise grip. Then I did the recalibration (since it still wasn't working) and all is good now.....for now at least.

Last edited by tjlmbklr; 10-31-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: typos
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

what about if you have hot and cold air. but it only blows out of the center left vent? is that a blen door issue?
SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/backdoor_artist-first-ever-jeep-build-1167659/index7.html#post12830094"]Build Thread[/URL]
Mud_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoor_artist View Post
what about if you have hot and cold air. but it only blows out of the center left vent? is that a blen door issue?
Center? like center on the dash/defrost, or center like the 2 center most vents point towards you? If I had the defrost on I only had cold, but I never tried the front vents.
Unread 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

mine will blow from the defrost fine and from the feet fine. but the center dash board vents only blows from the drive center vent by the head unit. also when i do the little check thing i get a code of 52? ill try to re calabrate it today but who knows. if anyone had this issue please let me know how you fixed it. i have hot and cold air when i want so, its not a dire fix yet. ill also check vacume lines. but as my cruise cntl works fine. think it will be a dead end.
SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/backdoor_artist-first-ever-jeep-build-1167659/index7.html#post12830094"]Build Thread[/URL]
Mud_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

Did you look up code 52? I think 52 is the recirc door is broken which could possible fall and block the output of the air from your ducts.

You gotta pull the dash to fix it right....or there's kits to either pin it up open or closed. each has its benefits.
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The motors almost never go bad. It's 99.9% likely that the blend door axle is broken for the driver's side door (there are two blend doors, one for each side of dual-control). I used the Blen Dor Store single-control replacement and it is very well made and very easy to install and fixed it 100%. Mopar offers a slightly cheaper kit which I don't like as much because it still uses plastic parts. HeaterTreater has a similar kit which is apparently more expensive than both.
I recently found that my issue was NOT resolved. What seems to be happening is the motor does not sense resistance when the door opens or closed and it spins completely around, thus causing the crack in the collar. I have ordered a new motor and hope that my issues will finally be resolved after that.

Does anyone know why the motor would not sense that stop point? I hope it is actually the motor itself.
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

The HVAC controller uses a logic circuit to detect an increase in amperage drawn as the motor hits its open/closed limits. This tells the computer what range the motor has to travel and it moves the actuator as it sees fit after that. If the motor is spinning around and around, then the shaft is broken and it never sees an amperage spike and never knows when to stop. This is when the 54 and 56 codes get thrown. I have a feeling you will replace the motor and find that it is really the shaft of the blend doors just like everyone else's problem.
Unread 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
SilverNCwj
2001 WJ 

I didnt think I had a problem until I went out and check the HVAC for codes. Now I have a code 52 showing. Claiming travel range is too large. How do I fix that? My heat is working fine?
SilverNCwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Code 52 is recirculation door. It is probably broken and hanging open with a mix somewhere between open/closed. No real symptoms other than not being able to choose between them. You can put some screws in it and wire it closed (drawing ambient air) or you can wire it open (drawing interior air) and do either through the glovebox. Or you can pull your whole dash apart and replace the unit and have it work normally.
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
tjlmbklr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The HVAC controller uses a logic circuit to detect an increase in amperage drawn as the motor hits its open/closed limits. This tells the computer what range the motor has to travel and it moves the actuator as it sees fit after that. If the motor is spinning around and around, then the shaft is broken and it never sees an amperage spike and never knows when to stop. This is when the 54 and 56 codes get thrown. I have a feeling you will replace the motor and find that it is really the shaft of the blend doors just like everyone else's problem.
I am absolutely certain the blend doors are fine. Not only did my trust worthy friend have them out and said they looked new, but the shaft for that side (with bad motor) turns up and down fine and stops on the top and bottom like it should.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.