Newb Grand Cherokee Plans? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Newb Grand Cherokee Plans?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
fastrr
2004 WJ 

Wj Newb Grand Cherokee Plans?

I'm a new owner of a 2004 Overland. I did a lot of research on vehicles before I purchased this vehicle. The final three were a FJ80 Toyota Landcruiser, a Land Rover Discovery Series 2, and a 4.7 HO WJ Grand Cherokee. I went with the Grand Cherokee mostly for ease of repair, fuel mileage and available power in stock form. I have had a V6 vehicle with bigger tires on it and the lack of power was always bothersome. The Landcruiser and Discovery get pretty crappy mileage. The Discovery is difficult to get repair parts for.

I wanted a vehicle that could get me to a lot of places yet get me there in somewhat comfort. Now I need to decide how far I am going to go with getting the WJ where I want it. I am leaning toward a three inch lift and run 245/70-17 or 265/75-17 tires. I like the 245's for the fact that I can get it into the spare tire well. I want to figure out a way to carry an extra 10 gallons of fuel. So this means either a rear bumper carrier or fabricate a auxiliary tank underneath. I also want a winch. I lean towards a portable as you can winch forward or backward with ease.

Enough rambling for now. Any thoughts are welcome.

fastrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Congrats. I envy your v8 4.7ho
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Quote:
So this means either a rear bumper carrier or fabricate a auxiliary tank underneath.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a lift kit? Stick with the fuel cans...
Crash4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
fastrr
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash4x4 View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a lift kit? Stick with the fuel cans...
There is space between the unibody rails that would keep it protected. Long range automotive makes a fuel tank that sits under the driver side.
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Crash4x4
2002 WJ 

Ah... then just install another gas cap/fill tube and connect it to the existing tank?
Crash4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
fastrr
2004 WJ 

I believe that it comes with a filler that uses the stock location. The tank has a transfer pump to get fuel into the main tank. I am waiting for a quote to see how ridiculous the price will be.
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
esac205
2001 WJ 

I currently have the 265's on my WJ and I want to covert my spare tire well into my extra fuel tank. Then ill have my spare only roof rack. Then you dot have to worry about an extra fuel tank underneath taking away from your clearance. And you'll still have a spare tire.
esac205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
cpratt247
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrr
I believe that it comes with a filler that uses the stock location. The tank has a transfer pump to get fuel into the main tank. I am waiting for a quote to see how ridiculous the price will be.
Did you ever find out the price?
cpratt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.