New to wj security system no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New to wj security system no start

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
dean477
1998 ZJ 

New to wj security system no start

New to the wj side of this forum so sorry if this is a known topic.

A friend of mine has a stock 2001 laredo. Today he opened the door and the alarm went off shortly after. The key doesn't turn in the ignition, which is locked from turning both ways.

The alarm turns off when you turn the key in the door but the key still wont turn in the ignition.

Ive unplugged the battery and took out the horn relay so it wont piss off his neighbors.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Dean

dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

With the battery unhooked it should be reset and ready to work. You might have a simple problem a few WJ owners get. The steering wheel will lock itself in place for some reason and the only way to free it is to shake it back (pretty hard), then try starting it. When it's locked like I mentioned. The key won't turn anywhere like you said
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

this happened to me once... but its because i was trying to start my WJ with my TJ key and obviously the sentry chip in the key didnt match. apparently if you force it a little bit like you think your steering wheel is locked you can break the ignition... still starts but wont stay running unless its the sentry key for my jeep

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.