New wj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New wj?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

New wj?

So thinking it's time for a new to me wj. I currently have a 01 limited it's got a 4" rc lift, 242 swap dc2's with 265 treadwrights and the 4.0. Love the jeep, but rust is getting the best of it. Found this on craigslist. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...550092825.html

Question is what to look for if I take a look and how do I determine what axels

Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Good looking Jeep, seems like a fair price. Look for rust of course, sounds like you're familiar with that already. Besides obvious Jeep stuff like checking leaks, everyone knows the 4.7 hates getting hot, so check for steam from the tailpipe and milky oil in the filler cap (pull the baffle out if you can for a good look), if you really want to be thorough you can check compression and get the loaner tool from autozone that checks for combustion gases in the coolant, not sure if you'd be able to do that successfully though without draining a little coolant. Drive train wise, I think it's going to have to be D30 front and D44a rear.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Range07
2003 WJ 

well, look for the obvious ... rust, signs of a wreck, etc. Drive some figure 8s to make sure that 247 is in proper working order, especially if its quadra-drive (likely is). Check the air vents for proper flow, I hear the blend doors arent fun to fix, itd be nice if that was already done.

that should have the 30/44a axles, seeing as how its claiming to be a 4.7HO. All wjs have the 30 front, and you can look at pics of the center of the 35 and 44a to see the difference, then crawl under and have a peak... if its clean, you can read off the tag on the differential. Should be 3.73 gear ratio with the 44a, assuming its stock. Kinda odd that the owner would only debadge the 4.7HO off the tailgate though, but it can happen
Range07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Hlude1
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the input. Didn't realize the ho was a badge on the rear. I'll have to make sure it really is one. Just kinda afraid of the whole 4.7 head gasket issue. I know that can get spendy to fix. I also found this one. Let me know what you guys think.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...580002625.html
Hlude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.