New Window Motor or Regulator?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Window Motor or Regulator??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Angry New Window Motor or Regulator??

Ok so today was not a good day for my Jeep and I. It all started when I woke up this morning and hoped in my Jeep to head to work. 2 days ago it was 60 degrees, yesterday was a blizzard(2ft of snow), and today was 5 degrees according to the evic. Yes that imformation may be somewhat irrelevant, but its those facts which have made me completey miserable. So back on topic, I go to roll my window down to wipe my side view mirror off and needless to say yes that was probably a dummy move because the sound that accompanied me pressing the window down button was reminiscent of a soda bottle being crushed in one of those machines you return your empties. It was at that moment I thought to myself "Why TF did I just try and roll my window down when its only 5 degrees?"
So long story short I popped the door panel off entually and saw a long loose looking braided metal wire wch somewhat resembles a throttle cable. This wire iis what I believe broke and is the reason why my window wont roll up or down anymore even after all the other ones thawed and function properly. My question is is this wire part of the regulator or window motor? Which one would I need to replace or do I need to replace both?............ That is my question for this thread but not the only beef between me and my wj. Well after work I went to go meet a locksmith to get a spare key made, well on my way there I was on a snow covered hill of a side street and all ou could hear the whole time I was driving up this hill was "popopopopopopopopoopoopp" sooooooooooooooo I do believe a new transfer case is in my future. But I got a spare key cut and programmed, and a key fob programmed for a total of 75 so I guess that's a good thing. Im just starting to feel really bummed out. after yesterdays storm I was completely in love with how the wj just beasted thru the snow with ease, today I am starting to feel like I should've saved my money until I had enough to buy a wk. Sorry for ranting just really need to get this off my chest. But if anybody has an idea if I need a new regulator, motor, or both any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Sorry to hear about your day's problems, it'll get better, I promise. A new regulator should come with the motor.
There are some threads on here that say you can fix the regulator, you just need to find them. There should be some on the interwebs, too. What happens is the end of that cable comes out.
I seem to remember ALFAITALIA is one of the people who fixed his and has never had a problem with it anymore. If he is still awake, maybe he will chime in. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Thanks man I really appreciate. I am gonna grab a six pack to stimulate the thought process, and do some research on the regulator rebuild process. To see if itd be worth the time and effort to rebuild vs buying new. Seeing as advancauto wants 100 for a replacement I'm kind of leaning towards the latter. Thanks for such a quick response and hopefully I can find a good write up on how to rebuild. Thanks.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

99% of the time, it is the regulator that fails and the motor is just fine. Rockauto has the regulators for super cheap without the motor. If you can wait a few days for shipping, that is the route I would go...and have gone twice so far (only two windows left haha)

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Listen to EZ like your life depended on it. He always has the answer.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip
99% of the time, it is the regulator that fails and the motor is just fine. Rockauto has the regulators for super cheap without the motor. If you can wait a few days for shipping, that is the route I would go...and have gone twice so far (only two windows left haha)
Yes! This is what I was hoping to hear. I can definetly live a few days without a functional window if it mEans I can save a few bucks! Just got back in so I haven't had a chance to search a rebuild thread, but I am glad to know that this is an option, and probaly the option I will go with, if it turns out it would be more of a hassle than it's worth to rebuild. Thank you!
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick
Listen to EZ like your life depended on it. He always has the answer. Sent from my iPad using electrons
Definetly will! Just checked rock auto and the regulator is 60% less than the what they want for it at advance auto! Going to do some research and possibly attempt a rebuild, but worst case scenario I just order from rock auto. Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated!
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
KingSmoth
1978 CJ5 

When I bought my WJ I had both driver side windows fail on me in the first few weeks. I was able to repair the passenger window without issue, but the cable on the driver window suffered a slight kink in a short span during failure. I was able to straighten it and attempt repair, but decided to just replace the entire assembly due to occasional binding. I would recommend verifying that there is no damage to the cable before settling on a repair job instead of replacement, as you will use your driver window more than any other on the WJ.
KingSmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSmoth View Post
I would recommend verifying that there is no damage to the cable before settling on a repair job instead of replacement, as you will use your driver window more than any other on the WJ.
You make a very valid point
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
02laredoTX
2002 WJ 

I have replaced every window motor/regulator in my wj. Some Twice.
02laredoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

Just replace the entire thing. I have done both rear windows now with the Dorman units off Amazon. $60 shipped and the problem is fixed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.