New Rear axle won't fit in diff housing. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Rear axle won't fit in diff housing.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

New Rear axle won't fit in diff housing.

Finally got those two bolts off diff cover. Tried this set of bolt removers I found on line. Got the low profile because of the small area and it took those last two right off.

Got the old axle out and now trying to get the new one in and it is not going in. I measured both from the threads and the new one is about a 1/16 inch bigger. I am thinking just wear on the old one causing the difference. Did have some metal shavings on the magnet of the diff cover. I did try to put the old one back and it went right in. Problem is I would use it but have the new hub system all set to go with new everything on it. How hard can I force it? Should I put some diff fluid on everything where it connects to help it? Any help or suggestion appreciated.

Unread 04-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Is this front or rear?

Do you Have Quadra Drive? or Quadra-trac or select -trac..

Quadra drive has different size ones because the LSD.

Also If you have the v8 you have the Dana 44A

4.0L you have the dana 35.

Make sure you got the right shafts etc count the teeth!
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

Thanks for responding Josh. Have select trac and its Dana 35 for the rear. The shaft I ordered was for that diff. I did not want to have to cut bearings and mess with that so ordered it as a whole unit. I tried a couple more times to get it in but not happening. My thought now is I started cutting the bearing off the old one and just replace it that way. Weird part is I had replaced the front axles last year and both went in no problem. Not sure why this would not work. I will count the teeth to confirm.
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadauss View Post
Thanks for responding Josh. Have select trac and its Dana 35 for the rear. The shaft I ordered was for that diff. I did not want to have to cut bearings and mess with that so ordered it as a whole unit. I tried a couple more times to get it in but not happening. My thought now is I started cutting the bearing off the old one and just replace it that way. Weird part is I had replaced the front axles last year and both went in no problem. Not sure why this would not work. I will count the teeth to confirm.
Where is it hanging up at? Are you not able to get the axle shaft splines into the spider gears at all? How much shaft is still sticking out once you have it bottomed out? You have to turn the shaft to get the splines of the shaft and the splines of the spider gears to line up.
Or is it going into the spiders and bottoming out on the crosspin and you still have some shaft sticking out? Confirm that the shaft is 27 spline. If you've got 27 splines, the axle is the same size as the one you removed.
You could pull the carrier and take a closer look at the two mating together. I'd try that before cutting the new bearing off and placing it on the old shaft.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

Ready for this, it has 29 splines versus the 27 on mine right now. Daaaa, What a dumba** I am. When I ordered it, states it is for a Dana 35 and it fits the jeep grand Cherokee 99-04 year.

Would any Dana 35 have 29 splines? I thought I was going to be done with this job this weekend. Can't even find a parts store locally that has all the parts I need to just re-build the hub assembly, have to order them. The wife shut me off til this whole jeep project is over which in many cases never ends. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I've never seen a 29 spline D35. The WJ 44a is 30 spline. Do you have a part # from the box where you bought it? Its really crazy (IMO) that the shaft is the WJ length and bolt pattern.

Unread 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

Here it is. I had an amazon coupon for 50 dollars so got it for 50 less then price shown.

edit, I will go count them again, it could be 30 on the splines.

Edit, I just counted again, its 29 splines
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats a D44a shaft. If you google the part# it comes back as a D44a on several sites. Amazon must of had it listed wrong.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1653072

http://www.omix-ada.com/catalog/prod...category/1675/

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...pn=OAI16530.72

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

Thank you for the help. Appreciate it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.