New muffler (from Firestone) is way too loud. What next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New muffler (from Firestone) is way too loud. What next?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 10-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
dbonneville

New muffler (from Firestone) is way too loud. What next?

I had a muffler installed at Firestone for my 2002 Loredo. The original muffler was very quiet until it rusted and got loud. Now the muffler from Firestone (not sure what they put on) sounds almost like it's ready to go. I went back under guarantee and they replaced it, but it sound identical. I thought maybe the exhaust work was bad (they kept the catalytic converter) so I had another shop check it out. They said the work was fine, but that the baffles (?) in the muffler they put on might not be the best for the Jeep or something like that.

I want a quiet Jeep again. Thing sound nasty when you give it gas or when you are going up a hill. It just gets and ugly buzzing sounds that is highly irritating.

What muffler should I put on? What would a place like Firestone have put on? I'm no mechanic, but could I buy a top-shelf muffler and simply replace what I have with a few tools and some time? Should I bring it to another shop and say here, put this on?

Any advice welcome!

dbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First off the baffles are the sheets of metal on the inside of the muffler that muffles the sound.

Second, they may be right about the muffler not being right for your jeep, but that sounds like a load to me.
Most mufflers will cross as long as they have a large enough inlet and outlet. IE jeep has a 3" pipe (yours may differ) and you put a muffler with a 1.5" inlet.
You can imagine the problem here.
Way too much backpressure.

Also you should be able to do it yourself with just a few wrenches, unless they welded it on.
Then you will need to cut the pipe, this takes a bit more time, but not hard, Ive done it lots.
Also you will have to decide if you want to just clamp the new muffler on or if you want to weld it, personally I would choose to weld it, but I weld all the time so its easy for me to say.

Next when you say it is too loud, is it a crappy 1970's rusted muffler loud or guy on a motorbike loud?

I have a glasspack cherrybomb on mine (cheap only cost around 55$), But it sounds nice.
It gives the jeep a throaty deep sound.
Its not too loud, I don't notice it on the highway, but step on it in town and people know it has some balls.

I love the way it sounds, Im making it a dual with two glasspacks, looking forward to that.

Alot of people recommend magnaflow mufflers. They sound nice, but I prefer the glasspack (magnaflow makes them too I think), I didn't think I would like it at first, but wow.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
dbonneville

Is it possible that both shops, the one that did the work twice and the second shop I asked to look at it twice now could be missing that something is not installed right, and that the buzzing-ish sound is some other vibration as a result of something else?

When you start the Jeep it's a little surprising how loud it is. When you give it gas, it just gives a muted buzzing sound. Not raw like a hole, but not sweet like a great car with great engine sound. It's just and unpleasant loud. It's not a nice throat sound. Loud muted buzz is about the best I can describe it. It's somewhat loud inside the cabin. For instance, going up a long slow grade on the highway, you hear it get loud and as soon as you crest, it's 100% quiet like you'd think it should be most of the time.

In the Jeep before the new muffler (before the old one went bad) when you'd go up a grade, you might sense the engine working a bit more, but you'd never hear this incrementally louder muted buzz that takes over the cabin. In any other car I have had (quite a few in 25 years), no car ever sounded like this.

If you are going 30 and tap the gas, not enough to drop it into 2nd, the car just does that ugly grunt muted buzz. It just sounds unhealthy. It also sounds just like mufflers do right before they go. But this is rock-solid consistent every day, and doesn't change. It's like a perpetual day-before-the-muffler-goes kind of sound.
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Maybe you should trade the Jeep in for a nice little SUV like a CRV. That will solve the problem.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
dbonneville

No, I just want it to not bellow and buzz and sound ill. I want it to sound like when I bought it 2 years ago - 100% awesome all the time What could possibly beat a Grand Cherokee in the New England snow for a small family? CRV ain't it.
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

I think what WiCkeDuDe was getting at is that most of us around here go for the Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc for the loud throaty tone they give, and for less exhaust restriction.

Other than the dealer, for an EXACT replacement, any "oem replacement" from an exhaust shop or the like is going to be sub-par generic garbage.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
dbonneville

Loud and throaty outside is fine as long as it doesn't sound like a loose crappy muffler inside that makes you want to take your foot off the gas, like a rusted muffler does. If the 4.0 in my Laredo sounded throaty outside, but was smooth inside, that would be fine.

I think I got a crappy aftermarket from Firestone. I'd be quite happy with an exact replacement from the dealer. Maybe I'll have to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.