New Member with Fuel Issue - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member with Fuel Issue

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #46
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

I just noticed in one of my earlier posts, I typed smells and not smalls. It was an autocorrect. I'm very curious on how they setup one cat versus two smalls. Do they tap both post cat o2 sensors into the one pipe after the new single cat? Not sure if that would mess up any readings as both precat o2s would have diff readings for each bank but then see the same post cat results.

I get the rotten egg smell from time to time. I get odd shifting driving around town, already changed tps, drained transmission, drained front and rear differentials. I also noticed on my scans that bank twos post cat o2 starts running and staying at a high voltage after idle whereas bank one returns to low voltage if it does happen to creep up. Through some reading that leads me to think the bank 2 cat is clogged. But, I'd hate to spend the money if its not it. I've already thrown enough hundred dollar bill guesses at it. Lol. Thanks for the update.

outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

Hmmm... I am going to attempt to answer your first question. What we are doing is cutting out the two small clogged cats and replacing them with straight pipes. The 3rd cat is also getting clogged bit by bit from the particulate matter dumping down into it from the two smaller cats. So we are cutting out the 3rd member and replacing it with a high flow cat. I too am getting the odd shifting, mine has to downshift almost constantly due to lack of power from exhaust restrictions. Before it used to be able to stay locked up in 5th gear and get up a high on the highway in cruise control. Now it has to grab 3rd gear and scream to max RPM to sluggishly move its *** up the road. I will be reporting my MGP differences as soon as I can.
TrenchMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #48
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Mine only has two small cats. Go figure.
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #49
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

Chop the first and free flow the second one.
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #50
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

If I am following correctly, it sounds like you believe they are in line?? I have one small for each bank, goes into a single pipe then the muffler. That's it.
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #51
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrenchMaker View Post
Hmmm... I am going to attempt to answer your first question. What we are doing is cutting out the two small clogged cats and replacing them with straight pipes. The 3rd cat is also getting clogged bit by bit from the particulate matter dumping down into it from the two smaller cats. So we are cutting out the 3rd member and replacing it with a high flow cat. I too am getting the odd shifting, mine has to downshift almost constantly due to lack of power from exhaust restrictions. Before it used to be able to stay locked up in 5th gear and get up a high on the highway in cruise control. Now it has to grab 3rd gear and scream to max RPM to sluggishly move its *** up the road. I will be reporting my MGP differences as soon as I can.
Cool. I'll be watching to see how this turns out for you. I live in northern Ontario too, so no emissions for me. That y-pipe is a frightening expense if the cats go bad, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes with just one big one.
Unread 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #52
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Just noticing you have different emissions. So, I guess for me it will be interesting to see if this works, but not sure if I can follow the same route. Blah. Never easy. Lol
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #53
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

Ok got the truck back ten minutes ago. So far in ten minutes of driving I got an increase of 1.1 MPG. Also my exhaust sounds bloody well awesome! Top trick for me! Ok I reset my mileage when I got home and for the sake of reference I am running the results in MPG since most of the WJ operators are in the US. I will report my findings as things progress.
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #54
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

By the way outofrng623, under your truck can you describe the exhaust that you have? You can find more info here: http://www.wjjeeps.com/oxygen.htm
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #55
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

California emissions. 4.7. 4 o2s. Two small cats with o2s right after. One for each bank. Not sure how I could manage to get away with putting one cat unless I extend the o2 wires. When you are calculating, you are doing it by hand (filling, counting miles, refilling, dividing miles by gallons) and not using the overhead display, right?
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #56
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

Calculations done by hand. Also we have the same exhaust, three cats and 4 o2 sensors. We cut out the two smaller cats and replaced with straight pipes to join the remainder of the exhaust. The third larger cat to the rear was replaced with a high flow magnaflow unit. Also I will post my findings as I drive it more. I have a company vehicle so I don't stack mileage as quickly as others.
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #57
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Two cats on mine. That's it. Two and the o2s are right after them. I believe I read that at one point they had three then went to two medium size cats. Do you have 4 o2s? If so, where are the post cat ones placed with the new system?
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #58
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

I have 4 o2 sensors. Two before the little cats and then two right after. Or well now it is before and after the straight pipes. Then it goes to the BIG cat before the muffler.
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #59
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Did they have to extend the wires for the o2s?
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #60
TrenchMaker
2002 WJ 

The o2 sensors never left their original positions. I will take a quick vid and post on youtube to illustrate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.