New to me wj! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New to me wj!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

New to me wj!

Hey all just picked this up for 1000 bucks it has 160000 miles 4.0 interior is ok.cons electric fan has a switch on the dash to it. Just need to replace the relay , pretty sure the ring and pinion is on it's way out when I hit 40 and above you can hear the rear axle howling. Guy said it's been like that for 2 Yeats so idk. Ac only works on hi anyone know anything about that? Also how much do you guys thing I can pick up a new axle at the junkyard for? Little bit of a slow start probably a old battery but other then that it works pretty good! Do you guys think I got a good deal?

image-3522427355.jpg

wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
new2site
2002 WJ 

Looks EXACTLY like mine....sweeett..(and the 4.0 too)
Yeah..for 1-thou you scored.

On the "slow start" ...start by cleaning your battery terminals really good..if that doesn't help most likely battery...if it gets to where it's sputtering trying to start...most definitely your battery.. (of course your alternator could be going out and not recharging battery good)

On the AC situation...could be the low/med windings on the blower motor are shot ...or maybe the contacts for those settings on switch have corrosion...

*Also...if it doesn't already have a clutch fan I would install one (extra noise / little bit worse gas mileage worth the piece of mind)...as you seem to already know about the electric fan relays going out...the elect fans are starting to go out as well at this age. (Clutch Fan bolts clockwise right onto water pump - 1 7/16" wrench or 36 mm)
To replace fan relay just pop off passenger side headlight and cut hole in plastic (holesaw or heat up exact-0-knife...whatever works - youtube: "fan relay jeep grand cherokee"

I also recommend putting a trailer hitch on the back if it doesn't already have one...give the exposed gas tank some protection.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Anyone have any ideas about ring and pinion
wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'd open it up and have a look to see what kind of condition it's in. Is there any metal shavings or such inside? How are the bearings?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Jholian81
1999 WJ 

These don't have low/med windings in the blower motor. They use a blower resistor. Only works on high because high doesn't go through the resistor.

Check the blower resistor visually for rust and for signs of overheating. When replacing it, also replace the blower motor since that is what makes the resistor burn up because they draw too much current.
Jholian81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.