New to me higher mileage WJ - Oil opinions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New to me higher mileage WJ - Oil opinions?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
AllTime4x4
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPugh View Post
White smoke? That's not oil, its probably water.
When I said white, I guess I should have said blueish/grey white. It's definitely not water. I pressure checked the cooling system myself and the coolant level's the same daily - almost positive it's not a head gasket. My last vehicle was a Land Rover, so unfortunately I have quite a lot of experience with head gaskets.

I did some research and based on the (small) amount of smoke, and timing of it, I believe it to be valve stem seals. Here's one quote I'm referring to from another forum:
"One characteristic of bad valve stem seals/guides, is when you park it hot, then start it after some time and it puffs blue smoke. Oil ran down the valve and ended up in the cylinder. "

That's almost exactly what happened the other day. Now - I did just finish replacing the spark plugs. Two things - first, they had almost NO ELECTRODE left. None. They were flat on the edges, which told me that if they weren't oem, they were damn close. Second, didn't find any oil residue on any of the plugs. I'll post a photo of all of them, maybe someone can identify something I missed.

I ended up going with M1 HM 5w-30. I'm hoping that the seal conditioner will work to my advantage with the slight oil burning. I'm going to start checking the oil weekly to identify how much it's burning if any.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions!

Last edited by AllTime4x4; 07-22-2014 at 11:17 PM..
AllTime4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Well, maybe that is your problem then, but just so you know, and I think someone said it already, the thing that makes high-mileage oil high-mileage oil is that they put seal sweller in the additive package. Personally, I don't feel like valve stem seals are worth going to HM oil. I'm just now seeing that you said you had some oil around the bellhousing, so in that case, maybe it's necessary. If you haven't already, clean that up really well and see how it looks at your next oil change. GL and enjoy your new Jeep. This only reminds me of how profusely my tranny pan is leaking oil, I need to get on that filter/gasket change.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #18
AllTime4x4
2004 WJ 

Here's a photo of the sparkplugs I pulled out. I've never seen sparkplugs this bad before. Yet from what I can tell no oil on them.

Believe it or not, truck ran very well with these. Smooth idle and acceleration. I'm sure it's even better now but I really can't tell much of a difference. Not like when I replaced some silverado plugs at 45k, it seemed like it had 50 more hp.
lowres.jpg

Last edited by AllTime4x4; 07-22-2014 at 11:19 PM..
AllTime4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Holy balls those are bad.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Got to love coil in plug. It will fire anything.

My 04 4.7 looked bad too when I first bought and changed plugs. But I only had a 1/8 air gap.

I doubt the 4.0 with its wasted spark system would have been happy with that much of a air gap.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.