New to me higher mileage WJ - Oil opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New to me higher mileage WJ - Oil opinions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
AllTime4x4
2004 WJ 

New to me higher mileage WJ limited History - Oil opinions?

Hey guys,

First, I'm not trying to start a syn vs dyno oil debate, just looking for some opinions on what I should use for the jeep I just bought. I run synthetic in all of our families vehicles, so normally I wouldn't even think of running anything else. With that said, I just got a really good deal on an 04 Limited w/ 128k on the clock. It's had 6 different owners throughout it's life, and while it's in pretty good condition, I highly doubt it's been running synthetic for it's life. I had good luck switching a Chrysler van with the 3.3l to mobil 1 at 160k with no leaks, but for some reason I'm a bit wary of this vehicle. We at least owned the van since practically new, but this jeep has a history that's completely unknown.

Some Observations: It looks like there's a bit of "wet" near the bellhousing/engine connect. I haven't had a car that doesn't exhibit some minor leaking at the rear main seal and am not really worried. It's not even forming drips. No spots of any kind on the driveways in the last 5 days. I have no clue if it's using any oil yet. It was about half a quart low when I picked it up, so I topped it off with some Mobil 1 5w30 high mileage. Maybe it's just me but it seemed to actually quiet things down even further. (Wasn't loud to begin, engine sounds really good) Needless to say I don't trust fluids in a used car from anyone and will be changing the oil along with everything else ASAP as soon as I get it back from having the rear axle seals replaced.

I'm thinking that at best I'll run some sort of blend, but first I'm thinking I'll throwing some cheap wally dyno in with a bit of seafoam or MMO, idling it for 15-20 minutes then changing with a quality dyno or blend. Hopefully this will remove any sludge it has. I haven't pulled the valve covers, so I don't have an idea of the internal condition. At this point, it's just a guess based on listening that it's relatively clean.

It's got the base 4.7l, very little engine noise, sounds very good for it's age and mileage. I'll also work on getting an analysis done when I get the time.
Opinions appreciated - thanks!

AllTime4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

128k is not high mileage. IMO dino 10-30. The more frequent oil changes with dino instead of long intervals with synthetic are a plus IMO.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
AllTime4x4
2004 WJ 

What is considered high mileage for these motors? And what about a syn HM with 3000-4000 OCI?
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
biffs
2000 WJ 

I'm running Rotella T in mine. Mechanic recco'd it, so did a ton of people on the forums. I have 285km on my 4.0l
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I'm running regular 10W-30 in mine and have been for six years, I'm at 260,000 miles. As long as you change it on time you'll be fine.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
ace4usmc
2004 WJ 

I'd avoid the stuff labeled high mileage if you don't have any leaks. I didn't have any leaks before running some high milage for 4 or 5 intervals then switched back to dino oil and suddenly started getting oil on my drive way. The dripping only got worse when I put in T5 synblend. (the 4.0 loved it and ran quieter ) I've read that the high milage formulas have conditioners for the seals that cause the to swell to stop leaks. But when you stop using the HM stuff the seals return to their normal size but may not seal as well causing leaks.
ace4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Rotella is best for the 4.0. Not the 4.7 as the OP has. Use the recommended, good quality 5w/30 synthetic or blend with Purolator Gold filter and do them at 3000.
Just did mine last night.

To me, high mileage is 200K or more on either engine.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
str8shooter
2002 WJ 

Every 6 month,(<3000miles) with mobil 1/Mobil1 filter on my 4.7ho since new and it purrs like a kitten.Doing the same with the wifes 2012 but she hits 6000 in the 6 month interval without a problem.Full synthetic gets my vote!

Every time I look at my Jeep it cost me more money!
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Cleaner13

I run amsoil 5w30 diesel oil. This is their synthetic and it does not need to be changed for 25K miles or 1 year.... I also run the oversize filter as well. Its approximately $60 for an oil change, but you are only doing 1 per year.

$60 once or $30 several times a year, not to mention the added time to buy it, pick it up and change it 3-5X more...

I run the amsoil 5w20 in my wife's liberty and its the same thing 25K miles/1year Both engines take the same oversize oil filter as well.
Unread 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

There is no way I would leave any oil, no matter how good it might be, in a wj for twenty five thousand miles. Even top quality oil won't know how good your filter is, how you drive (lots of stop/start getting moisture in you oil) or how many miles you have done. It also won't know you are pouring it in an engine that was designed in the dark ages with the sort off clearances and tolerances that had three thousand mile oil change intervals in mind! You can put good oil in her but stick to recommended oil change times.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
AllTime4x4
2004 WJ 

Ok - I'll add something I left out. I've gotten a few puffs of white smoke upon hot starts and acceleration after idling down a hill or whatnot. I suspect the valve seals are the culprit and not the o-rings as it does not smoke under acceleration. I'm thinking that the HM oil's seal conditioner could help those seals specifically to prevent any further burning. After a pretty short interval and hot start I saw a nice white puff today so I went to Wally World and bought some M1 5w-30 HM and the M1 filter.

Also, what's the number of the extended capacity filter? I did the same thing in my Discovery II.
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
There is no way I would leave any oil, no matter how good it might be, in a wj for twenty five thousand miles. Even top quality oil won't know how good your filter is, how you drive (lots of stop/start getting moisture in you oil) or how many miles you have done. It also won't know you are pouring it in an engine that was designed in the dark ages with the sort off clearances and tolerances that had three thousand mile oil change intervals in mind! You can put good oil in her but stick to recommended oil change times.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
With all due respect your incorrect, we arent talking about the 4.0L, its the 4.7

Also the service interval for the 4.7L is 6000 miles not 3000. The 25K miles from the Amsoil oil is based on the same service interval of Service Interval A. If you are doing severe driving, dusty roads, low temps etc.. you would adjust to Service Interval B, which would bring you to 12,500 miles..
The filter is specifically designed for running 25K miles.
You obviously need to monitor it as you go to make sure you do not burn or leak oil etc.. the same stuff I would expect you to do regardless of oil...
Im not saying, oh put this oil in and dont bother checking it for 25K miles...

The thing is so many people will chime in and say "I would never keep oil in for 25K miles, thats blasphemy.."

I guess my question to those people would be, how many miles are on your Jeep? I have over 300K... So i guess the oil isnt that bad..
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTime4x4 View Post
Ok - I'll add something I left out. I've gotten a few puffs of white smoke upon hot starts and acceleration after idling down a hill or whatnot. I suspect the valve seals are the culprit and not the o-rings as it does not smoke under acceleration. I'm thinking that the HM oil's seal conditioner could help those seals specifically to prevent any further burning. After a pretty short interval and hot start I saw a nice white puff today so I went to Wally World and bought some M1 5w-30 HM and the M1 filter.

Also, what's the number of the extended capacity filter? I did the same thing in my Discovery II.

The Fram part # is PH8A
If you are using Mobil 1 I believe its M301

Amsoil is EA015
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTime4x4 View Post

White smoke? That's not oil, its probably water.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Maxlife 4life!
03CUSEWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.