New lift, new noises help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New lift, new noises help!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Dan_d
2004 WJ 

New lift, new noises help!

Hi, I just installed the 3" IRO lift with adjustable track bar, new spring isolators, bilstein shocks, and a rear addco sway bar with greasable bushings. Me and a friend installed it at his house and on my way home I noticed when I hit bumps it makes noises like a loud squeaking/rubbing sound. Is this just the new bushings and it will go away after they break in some or what? If so I hope so or could it be something else? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dan_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

the squeak could be a few things. Probably those bushings. Did you put some grease on them before you installed them?

Did you install extended sway bar links? You need to.

Test: disconnect the Addco bar from the two links, drive it around and see if the squeak is still there. Report back.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Dan_d
2004 WJ 

Yes I greased all the bushings before I installed them and I did install the extended sway bar links.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
bcvetter
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_d
Yes I greased all the bushings before I installed them and I did install the extended sway bar links.
Hey Dan- did you ever figure this out? I recently put the same lift on my 04 and have a new noise weekly. I didn't have noises like this with my TJ that had 4" RE lift. Just wondering. Also, what type of grease did you use?
bcvetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Dan_d
2004 WJ 

Well, I readjusted my trackbar some more because I didn't seem to have the axle completely centered and that did away with alot of the noises. And the rest of it seemed to be my rear upper bushings and probably balljoint as well. I actually just ordered all of it to replace.

I just used some castrol mp grease to grease on the bushings.
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
bcvetter
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_d View Post
Well, I readjusted my trackbar some more because I didn't seem to have the axle completely centered and that did away with alot of the noises. And the rest of it seemed to be my rear upper bushings and probably balljoint as well. I actually just ordered all of it to replace.

I just used some castrol mp grease to grease on the bushings.
I am experiencing the same thing. Except when I turn into my drive way or a parking spot I can feel a slight pop in the front end. Almost like the steering is loose. But it can't be because when I drive on the interstate going 80mph its a smoother ride than before the lift. Did you use a grease gun with a needle and just inject it to all the bushings. My trackbar is centered and they actually did it for my at the garage when I got my alignment.
bcvetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Dan_d
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvetter View Post
I am experiencing the same thing. Except when I turn into my drive way or a parking spot I can feel a slight pop in the front end. Almost like the steering is loose. But it can't be because when I drive on the interstate going 80mph its a smoother ride than before the lift. Did you use a grease gun with a needle and just inject it to all the bushings. My trackbar is centered and they actually did it for my at the garage when I got my alignment.
Hey just to let you know, I decided to tighten the upper nuts on the front shocks today and the noise appears to be gone. Just something you might want to try.
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvetter View Post

You may want to check your ball joints.
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.