Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Jeep Intro

460 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jbsj33p 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! thought I would introduce myself on this side of the forum and ask a few small questions about my new WJ. Coming from a ZJ I have had for quite awhile, it was my first car actually, but 24 years and 250,000 miles have not been kind to it. Axles all needed rebuilding along with the transfer case needing rebuilding and the electrical problems running wild seemed to be one thing after another (needed something more reliable to commute to school). So enter the WJ, 2003 limited with the 4.7L and 150,000 miles. Its got Quadra Trac II and the tow package and its very red. As soon as my phone will play nice I will get a photo uploaded. Looks pretty clean underneath, there's some rust on the the rear gas tank skid plate though that's eaten a few holes which is odd because its really the only real rust on the jeep. I was thinking of patching or replacing the skid plate, how hard is it to get down? The next issue is its too low! I don't do very much offroading maybe 4 times a year and some beach driving so I was just thinking a 2" lift. Had a budget boost and extended shocks on my zj would that be all I need to do for the wj or is there a better way to do it? Lastly how capable are these comparably to the rest of the jeep family in the department of jeeping, reading about this 4WD system has me worried its just a glorified AWD. Don't mean to offend anyone if its not just checking haha.

#2 ·
Right off the bat, the first issues with a WJ off road is the transmission cross member and the gas tank both being so low. There are at least a couple companies with higher clearance cross members so that's an easy bolt on mod but addressing the gas tank is far more involved thanks to the stock spare tire storage.

I have a 2" budget boost on my WJ installed by a PO and, compared to my (saggy) 4.5" lift on my XJ, it barely seems worth it. Personally, it's not even a lift so much as a correction to ground-hugging factory height. At 3" you're getting real benefits, namely: space for proper tires (size & tread), the minimum of decent flex, & the start of acceptable fording height. To really see some good trail performance without breaking the bank, I'd look at 4-4.5" kits.

Yes, QDII is AWD. BUT it has a proper, mechanical 4Lo so it's just as capable as any other transfer case in that regard. Practically-speaking, for most people who will go on "real" trails, there's nothing inherently wrong with the NV247. It's generally well-regarded and most "capability" issues are going to be due to having open diffs (you stated having Quadra-Trac II not QuadraDrive, so I'm assuming you don't have the Vari-Lok diffs, i.e., factory LSD.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I guess that would be my purpose of the 2" lift to put it where it should have been from the factory. For a 3" lift what would be needed, shocks coils and control arms?

That's good it does having locking low, since its 4 all the time I guess I wouldn't be putting a lunchbox locker in going to have to get fancy (expensive).

Another issue has come up, went to add some transmission fluid its maybe half a quart low but I'm not sure what fluid to use?? Manual says ATF 4+ but the hang up is the stuff in it is like a honey color, doesnt look dirty or burned its just not a dark purple like ATF 4 I would expect.

#6 ·
That is a nice kit, I do agree it should be standard equipment haha.

I have recently be gifted a set of 2" lift shocks for the Jeep though I looked at a fat bobs 2" spring set to go with them.

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/mobile...ring-suspension-lift-kit-1999-2004-p9052.aspx

They don't really say much about them he anyone had any experience with these. I do like the 3" kit but since I have the shocks this is a little more in my price range (broke college student) hey atleast it's not just spacer pucks!

Here's a picture of the new jeep finally.

Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.