New jeep, couple simple modifications completed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New jeep, couple simple modifications completed

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
STS-V

New jeep, couple simple modifications completed

Hello all,

I purchased this 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo off a friend. It has rusted out fenders, headlights fogged out so bad you could hardly see. I have modified plenty of cars, and decided to do a couple simple upgrades. Here it is after the new fenders and limited smoked headlights:

And here is a few pictures from the project I undertook last night, consisting of:

Painting Gray Cladding a Gloss Black
Painting the Wheels A Dark Carbon
Painting Chrome Grille Flat Black
Taping off Inner Chrome Rings on Each Grille Opening
Painting Inner Grille Inserts Carbon
Smoking the Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light

Finished product. I dont know if I like the grille. I may just end up getting a limited grille from 01-03 and painting it body color or gloss black. I may end up doing the black cladding in body color as well. What do you guys think?

To Do List:
Tint Front Windows to Match Back
Paint Emblems Shadow Chrome/Black
Possible Grille Modifications/Paint Cladding Body Colored

Thanks for your input!

STS-V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
jeeplaredo02
2002 WJ 

Looks really good I also painted the cladding on mine and it turned out good. If I were you the only thing I would do is to make the rims blacker. Top picture is before bottom one is after.
img_0458.jpg   img_0510.jpg  
jeeplaredo02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do I spot an Sts-v in your garage?
MallCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And the Jeep looks 100% better!
MallCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
burdge951
1996 ZJ 

What kind of paint did u use sts-v for the plastics? it is black right?
burdge951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS-V
Hello all,

I purchased this 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo off a friend. It has rusted out fenders, headlights fogged out so bad you could hardly see. I have modified plenty of cars, and decided to do a couple simple upgrades. Here it is after the new fenders and limited smoked headlights:

And here is a few pictures from the project I undertook last night, consisting of:

Painting Gray Cladding a Gloss Black
Painting the Wheels A Dark Carbon
Painting Chrome Grille Flat Black
Taping off Inner Chrome Rings on Each Grille Opening
Painting Inner Grille Inserts Carbon
Smoking the Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light

Finished product. I dont know if I like the grille. I may just end up getting a limited grille from 01-03 and painting it body color or gloss black. I may end up doing the black cladding in body color as well. What do you guys think?

To Do List:
Tint Front Windows to Match Back
Paint Emblems Shadow Chrome/Black
Possible Grille Modifications/Paint Cladding Body Colored

Thanks for your input!
Looks fantastic the way you did it! The limited/overland grill may be a good add in body color but looks great just like it is in my opinion.
jerrod710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
burdge951
1996 ZJ 

What kind of paint is it? the brand name?
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
burdge951
1996 ZJ 

also how did u get that shine? did u have to put a clear coat over it of it is just the way it came out of the can?
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
jeepster250
1999 WJ 

very nice. painted my trim black as well came out good but what color and brand u use for the rims. i see them painted everywhere and want to do mine!
jeepster250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster250
very nice. Painted my trim black as well came out good but what color and brand u use for the rims. I see them painted everywhere and want to do mine!
x2
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

This is probably the first time I've seen a Laredo with black painted cladding and grille and actually liked it. Fantastic job all around. I like your notecard masking technique for the wheels, I'll have to use that next time I paint a set myself.

Likewise on the taillights. Usually people go too dark on them and they just look like black holes. Yours are subtle and tie into the paint scheme very well. Congrats!!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Love the note cards idea.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Made an average Jeep stand out, it looks great. What did you use on the taillights and brake light? And I def like the grill.
lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
STS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallCrawling View Post
Do I spot an Sts-v in your garage?
Nice eyes. Yes, here are some current pictures of one of my other rides:

Shooting for 600hp this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdge951 View Post
What kind of paint did u use sts-v for the plastics? it is black right?
Yes. It is a duplicolor gloss black. It is called "Paint for Plastic." Used it on my sport trac, and it came out awesome as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdge951 View Post
also how did u get that shine? did u have to put a clear coat over it of it is just the way it came out of the can?
That is the shine straight out of the can. The "Paint for plastic" Series really is an impressive paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster250 View Post
very nice. painted my trim black as well came out good but what color and brand u use for the rims. i see them painted everywhere and want to do mine!
Duplicolor Graphite Wheel paint. Available at any Autozone. Also did my sport trac wheels in this color (seen above) and my girlfriends tiburon winter wheels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
This is probably the first time I've seen a Laredo with black painted cladding and grille and actually liked it. Fantastic job all around. I like your notecard masking technique for the wheels, I'll have to use that next time I paint a set myself.

Likewise on the taillights. Usually people go too dark on them and they just look like black holes. Yours are subtle and tie into the paint scheme very well. Congrats!!
Thanks. I agree, I may be changing the cladding to body color, but I like the black too. And I've used niteshades on tail lights before, and it comes out way too black. The secret to getting a "smoked" tail light is proper usage of Tamiya TS-71. I've done a few lights with that paint and its always came out 100% awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Love the note cards idea.
Ive been doing this for years on many different cars. Very easy way to spray wheels on the vehicle and not overspray the tire.

Do you guys think the grille looks good, or is it stupid? Im still considering a limited grille, but I like the subtle chrome accents on the grille now.
STS-V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
jerrod710
2003 WJ 

It looks good now. But body color may better for the grill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.