New here, bought a new ride. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New here, bought a new ride.

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Wj New here, bought a new ride.

I've been looking for a new vehicle for the winter around Pittsburgh since my only set of wheels is a motorcycle. My roommate has a 2004 Laredo and upkeep seems reasonable and its reliable. I found my 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited for $3,500. Has the 4.7L PowerTech V8 5-speed 545RFE automatic Quadra-Drive.

I live and work in the city so for now, I won't be doing much other than getting it in shape and get it to like-new. Just getting some things to make it complete and worry free. Was missing the CD changer cartridge and roof racks, fob missing the battery spring inside.

For all the bells and whistles and features it came with (including new tires). It needs a few things.

Went to get it inspected and it's throwing P0455 for a major EVAP leak. Which I'm trying to hunt the hoses down and replace them. Warped rotors causing some wobble when stopping. Also needed a new tailpipe from the muffler back. Last thing it needs is possible a valve cover gasket replaced. Has a little oil seepage that burns off on the manifold. Nothing significant, but smells.

Having some electrical continuity issues I've posted HERE the switches don't work at varying degrees the door is opened.

Air bag light is on and I saw on here somewhere that I could swap the ABCM out with one from a 2004 and it will fix the problem most likely.

Lastly, the heated seats don't appear to work. I'm guessing it's some connector under the seat or something.

Enough talk, pics.

Also need new gas shocks all the way around for the back glass, lift gate and hood.

Last owner had a full size spare wheel and new tire.

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilvia
I've been looking for a new vehicle for the winter around Pittsburgh since my only set of wheels is a motorcycle. My roommate has a 2004 Laredo and upkeep seems reasonable and its reliable. I found my 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited for $3,500. Has the 4.7L PowerTech V8 5-speed 545RFE automatic Quadra-Drive. I live and work in the city so for now, I won't be doing much other than getting it in shape and get it to like-new. Just getting some things to make it complete and worry free. Was missing the CD changer cartridge and roof racks, fob missing the battery spring inside. For all the bells and whistles and features it came with (including new tires). It needs a few things. Went to get it inspected and it's throwing P0455 for a major EVAP leak. Which I'm trying to hunt the hoses down and replace them. Warped rotors causing some wobble when stopping. Also needed a new tailpipe from the muffler back. Last thing it needs is possible a valve cover gasket replaced. Has a little oil seepage that burns off on the manifold. Nothing significant, but smells. Having some electrical continuity issues I've posted HERE the switches don't work at varying degrees the door is opened. Air bag light is on and I saw on here somewhere that I could swap the ABCM out with one from a 2004 and it will fix the problem most likely. Lastly, the heated seats don't appear to work. I'm guessing it's some connector under the seat or something. Enough talk, pics. Also need new gas shocks all the way around for the back glass, lift gate and hood. Last owner had a full size spare wheel and new tire.
Not a bad find. I paid a hair more for my second wj, but had less issues. As far as the airbag light, its worth checking the codes because a clockspring is just as likely.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Looks nice, white always looks clean on a Jeep. You might have to leave the heated seats on a little longer. I tested mine about two weeks ago and was about to write them off as broken but after about 7-10 minutes I finally started to feel something. They both work, just take awhile. Yours may be the same, or may be non functioning, either is very possible.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Duh

Put an ohmmeter across the two wires for the heater. If its OL, the heater mats burned out. If not, loose a little weight :-P if not, check and verify power is getting to it and ground is good.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

If your Jeep has had the heated seat recall you might notice some heat after about a month!.....if not they will feel like the gates of hell after about 2 milliseconds and then burn you....hence the recall. I wish I had never had the recall done...they might not catch fire now but thats because they hardly work at all !
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Not a bad find. I paid a hair more for my second wj, but had less issues. As far as the airbag light, its worth checking the codes because a clockspring is just as likely.
I bought a clock spring, but that is not it. are there any sensors under the seats also?
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Put an ohmmeter across the two wires for the heater. If its OL, the heater mats burned out. If not, loose a little weight :-P if not, check and verify power is getting to it and ground is good.
haha I only weigh 200lbs, I'll grab my multimeter.
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
If your Jeep has had the heated seat recall you might notice some heat after about a month!.....if not they will feel like the gates of hell after about 2 milliseconds and then burn you....hence the recall. I wish I had never had the recall done...they might not catch fire now but thats because they hardly work at all !
My last car set on fire doing 90 so i don't need that happening again. will jeep still warrant the recall do you know?
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I'm in the UK and they are still sending out recall letters if you have not had it done. Don't know about USA.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
I bought a clock spring, but that is not it. are there any sensors under the seats also?
I bought the ACM to fix my airbag light problem. I, too, changed the clock-spring, without it fixing the problem.
Check the TSB and find an ACM with that p/n and it should fix the problem. I ended up buying a code reader that reads SRS and ABS. It said my problem was in the side airbag circuit, which I took to mean inside the ACM. You should be able to find one from a junk yard, excuse me, used parts yard.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
I'm in the UK and they are still sending out recall letters if you have not had it done. Don't know about USA.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
I just bought it from another owner. I think i will just have to call them

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortrend.com
Recall ID # 87387 - SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:SEAT HEATER/COOLER Hide Details
Recall Date:
APR 09, 2009
Model Affected:
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 103,409 MY 2001-2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES WITH HEATED SEATS AND WITH CHRYSLER RECALL NO. 06V-197 COMPLETED (03-04 MY) OR SEAT HEATER ELEMENTS SERVICE REPLACEMENT (01-02 MY). THE FRONT SEAT ELECTRIC HEATER ELEMENTS COULD OVERHEAT.
Consequences:
OVERHEATING COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE A FIRE OR INJURY.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SEAT HEATER ELEMENTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 23, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
CHRYSLER LLC

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2002/...#ixzz2gxvMOzDv

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.