New Guy Needs Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Guy Needs Help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
easternfisherma
2000 WJ 

Wk New Guy Needs Help

Good evening all, long story short, my sister took my brothers jeep after he passed away and is having trouble letting it go. I volunteered to help her take care of it over the last few years. Transfer case went so picked up a 242 to replace the 247 (no heavy duty just wanted her to be able to cruise around in 2wd and save a few bucks on gas the other 9 months out of the year when theres no snow. Installed the transfer case today not realizing i needed another rear drive shaft to fit the 242 i located one at a junk yard but cant get to it till tomorrow. I put everything back together and figured i could put the car in 4wd to move it off the ramps and out of the driveway. Put the car in 4wd and nothing, tried low and hi with no luck. Had my daughter assist while i peeked under the car and the front shaft is spinning. Im hoping i need the rear one installed to engage the front. Anyone have any ideas what this could be. After seeing the prices of a front diff i hope theres a simpler solution. Thanks for the help

easternfisherma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Did you move your linkage to the right spot on the bracket and are you using a selec-trac shift bezel to know where the selector belongs?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Just to let you know, a 242 won't save on gas as the front drive shaft is always engaged just not in the tcase. The front shaft spinning and not going anywhere means axle issue. could be broken pinion. Also check to see if it actually has axle shafts(not likely but possible after some of the stuff I've seen people do) Did it make any noise?
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
easternfisherma
2000 WJ 

Thanks guys -
I moved the linkage and added a home made shift indicator.

I hear you on the gas but should also cut down on wear and tear on the front end. Everything is where it should and no missing parts. Looks like a tough fix the front end. Is a pinion something I can handle in the driveway?
easternfisherma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternfisherma View Post
Thanks guys -
I moved the linkage and added a home made shift indicator.

I hear you on the gas but should also cut down on wear and tear on the front end. Everything is where it should and no missing parts. Looks like a tough fix the front end. Is a pinion something I can handle in the driveway?
You moved the linkage and it works now, or it was already moved and doesn't work?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.