New GC owner with question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New GC owner with question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
jreask
2004 WJ 

New GC owner with question

I just purchased a used 2004 GC Laredo with 127K. It's in decent shape and seems to run good. It has the 4.0 with auto tranny. I have a couple of questions that a search did not find an answer. First, the tachometer shows an idle of 750 RPMs after warm. It seems higher but I will trust it. When I put it in gear, the tach does not drop at all. All other vehicles I have owned the tach drops when I put the truck in gear. Can anyone explain this?

Also, when I pull in the garage after driving home, I hear a loud vibration and roaring sound from the front of the truck. I can't hear it outside the truck, only in the cabin. It almost sounds like the blower is on high speed but the HVAC is off. If anyone could help?

TIA

JR

jreask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

My 02/4.7 has no perceptible change in rpm going in and out of gear, but I never gave it much thought. I assume this is just something that jeep managed to get right when they built these things. No idea on the noise though, is it your rad fan?
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

It may be idling a little high, mine idles at 600, 4.7 non HO. If you suspect high idle clean the TB and IAC, may need to replace IAC. cheap and easy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.