New Front Bumper Design! Vote! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Front Bumper Design! Vote!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Migillicuty
2000 WJ 

Thumbs up New Front Bumper Design! Vote!

Hey everyone, just got my 00 JGC with QD and am ready to start making custom fiberglass parts for it. Im going to start with a front bumper and would like everyone's input for what it should have and should not have. How high should it go? What makes other bumpers look good or look ugly? What would make a bumper better looking as far as artistic style goes? How thick should it be? How many lights jams should it have? How far should it stick out or how close should it be flush with the grill? What kinds of accessories should it be able to accommodate? Once I get an overall idea Im going to make a miniature prototype for everyone to grade and vote on before I begin the actual production. With pics of course!
Thanks in advance!!!
-Mike

Migillicuty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I would like to see something that fits the body lines real well. Most of the bumpers I have seen don't really fit the body style of the grand cherokee. Something reinforced with metal to be able to mount a hidden winch.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I would like to see something that fits the body lines real well. Most of the bumpers I have seen don't really fit the body style of the grand cherokee. Something reinforced with metal to be able to mount a hidden winch.
+1 and high approach angle
kingmeirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
fast540
1999 WJ 

Fiberglass bumper? Why would u do that? I guess I'd add a rubber skid plate or a PVC stinger, maybe carve a winch outta balsa wood
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540
Fiberglass bumper? Why would u do that? I guess I'd add a rubber skid plate or a PVC stinger, maybe carve a winch outta balsa wood
Ya definetly..... I assume you have never heard of Iceland products.
image-849555239.jpg  
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's cool that a company sold a bunch of them, but it was what, 1/2" thick fiberglass? I'd rather have steel, no matter what the thickness. Even 1/8" can be gusseted on the back for strength.
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

these are my wants in a front bumper:
  • looks good without fender flares and match the WJ body lines
  • doesn't stick out too much, that it looks like there is a ledge in front of the Jeep; as an aside, i'd wait until the hidden winch mount is completed, then build the bumper around that! the closer you can keep the bumper edge to the body, the better angle of approach you'll have
  • high clearance all around, hanging low just in the center area for the radiator support
  • recessed fog light mounts
  • mounting points for clevis d-rings
  • doesn't weigh a ton; i'm okay with fiberglass. my plastic Laredo bumper has taken many years of trail abuse and still intact
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
stone white 99
1999 WJ 

I would focus on doing a rear bumper since there are already so many good to decent front bumpers. I have yet to see a rear bumper with tire carrier that looks good bolted to a WJ without a lot of modifications or use with the Iceland fender flares.

IMO the rear bumper would have angles that are compatible with the body of the WJ, be small, have two tow points for shackles, retain the factory hitch, have a tire carrier that is either on the left or right side mounted low, hugs the liftgate and does not stick out rearward and a provision for a jerry can or two on the other side.
stone white 99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
That's cool that a company sold a bunch of them, but it was what, 1/2" thick fiberglass? I'd rather have steel, no matter what the thickness. Even 1/8" can be gusseted on the back for strength.

It was 1/4". There was also 1/4" winch "bed" that made up most of the center section of it. It was a GREAT lightweight bumper, that served purpose. There were some pictures of a guy that rammed and Accord with it. It jacked up the Accord, and only rubbed the paint off the bumper.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone white 99 View Post
I would focus on doing a rear bumper since there are already so many good to decent front bumpers.
This is a joke right? There are what, 3 maybe 4 front bumpers available for the WJ?

I've been happy with this rear bumper:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...l#post15067341

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, depending on the location. Strength to weight ratio...fiberglass kills steel. I have smashed mine on the rocks, and only scratched the paint.

Jeep vs Honda...fiberglass needed some paint, 1/4 steel plate brackets were bent and needed to be replaced. The fiberglass had six bolts through it holding it to the metal winch cradle. The lateral strength of fiberlgass at the bolt holes was stonger than both 1/4 steel brackets (one each side of the winch cradle).

Best part about it...the scratched bumper doesn't rust

Note: All images shared with me by SwatCash on NAGCA.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
shockracer
2001 WJ 

That honduh looks like it fought with a can opener.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

[COLOR="SeaGreen"] Colorado Jeep Club Member #262[/COLOR]
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Migillicuty
2000 WJ 

Ok cool thanks for the input guys! To those of you who ask,"WHY FIBERGLASS??" The reason why is fiberglass does not weigh as much as metal and does not pull down your lifted jeep like the tank metal ones do. Fiberglass believe it or not is really REALLY strong at the right thickness and best of all it is rust proof and can always be repainted and touched up with some bondo or even re-fiberglassed if needed in certain ares. I have seen the iceland bumpers and I like them for what purpose they serve but I did not find the design all that "stylish." I want something more artistic that actually looks good with the styling of the jeep. I hated how the bumper looks too big on it unless you got the iceland fenders. This made it look like people bought a used bumper from a full sized donor truck or something. So here is what I have so far!
1. High profile/ clearance
2. Recessed Fog light jams
3. High on the ends but low enough to cover the radiator
4. Does not stick out too far like a duck bill
5. Possibly some rock light jams for smaller fog lights aiming at the front of the tires for (night crawling)
6. Matches up with the jeep body lines.
7. Does not stick out further than the stock fenders. (flush)
8. Mounting points for tow hooks
9. Hidden area for a winch? (possibly behind where front license plate would go?)

So Ill make a mini paper prototype and post pics. I welcome all criticism both pro's and con's. I really am aiming towards making a "We the people" bumper with everything everyone wishes it had.
Migillicuty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migillicuty View Post
Ok cool thanks for the input guys! To those of you who ask,"WHY FIBERGLASS??" The reason why is fiberglass does not weigh as much as metal and does not pull down your lifted jeep like the tank metal ones do. Fiberglass believe it or not is really REALLY strong at the right thickness and best of all it is rust proof and can always be repainted and touched up with some bondo or even re-fiberglassed if needed in certain ares. I have seen the iceland bumpers and I like them for what purpose they serve but I did not find the design all that "stylish." I want something more artistic that actually looks good with the styling of the jeep. I hated how the bumper looks too big on it unless you got the iceland fenders. This made it look like people bought a used bumper from a full sized donor truck or something. So here is what I have so far!
1. High profile/ clearance
2. Recessed Fog light jams
3. High on the ends but low enough to cover the radiator
4. Does not stick out too far like a duck bill
5. Possibly some rock light jams for smaller fog lights aiming at the front of the tires for (night crawling)
6. Matches up with the jeep body lines.
7. Does not stick out further than the stock fenders. (flush)
8. Mounting points for tow hooks
9. Hidden area for a winch? (possibly behind where front license plate would go?)

So Ill make a mini paper prototype and post pics. I welcome all criticism both pro's and con's. I really am aiming towards making a "We the people" bumper with everything everyone wishes it had.
i'm really excited to see your design
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

im in for one if it turns out good!
and hopefully it wont be $1K like the nice looking steel ones

also i dont know if you can incorporate it into the fiberglass, but id love to see pre-runner bars on a FG bumper!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.