New Engine- Sluggish Starting- Emission Codes and More - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Engine- Sluggish Starting- Emission Codes and More

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
casauall002

***UGH 1-28 UPDATE*** New Engine- Sluggish Starting- Evap Codes-More

I have a 2004 grand Cherokee overland. V8 4.7L

I had a new engine put in due to someone messing up the engine and it had sat for several months with no engine, fluid, etc…which seems like it’s taken a toll on some of the hoses, etc…

Started fine but after about a month into the new engine it seemed like it was struggling to start. I had AAA come take a look to see if it was the battery or starter and everything checked out fine. (battery, starter, alternator). So, I had the shop that put the engine in take a look and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Once the car starts, it will restart without issue until it sits for an extended period of time.

For example, if I wake up in the morning and start it, it struggles but I could stop at the store right after that. However, if I sit at work all day and go to start, it is sluggish again.

I’ve found that if I crank the key just for a second and then try starting it, it doesn’t struggle. I’m not a car person but it almost seems like it’s not getting gas properly to begin with or almost like older cars when you had to give it a little gas to start.

The engine is a rebuild and the company is very reputable and they’ve been more than happy to help. They did reuse hoses, starter, alternator, injectors, etc…

I also have a P0442 and P0455 code on my check engine that occurred after the new engine but the auto part store said they would not be related. The shop that put it in did find two hoses that were completely split on the emission part and fixed for free but the code came back.

Could it be something not hooked up right?
Bad fuel pump?
Can this mess up my starter?

Any thoughts? Thank you for the help!

casauall002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
casauall002

Will it help if I posted a couple videos showing the sound?
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Upside
2002 WJ 

I'm going to guess that the purge valve is stuck open and letting the intake manifold fill up with fuel vapor. When you crank it a bit without starting the vapor is sucked through the engine and it starts fine on the second try.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Toreyjw1
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by casauall002 View Post
Will it help if I posted a couple videos showing the sound?
Yes! Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me
Toreyjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
casauall002

So, should I replace the purge valve? That would make sense because originally I had an "incorrect purge flow" code and I took it in and they found 2 hoses completely destroyed and they were pulling codes of gross leak and minor leak.

Give me a bit on the video. Thanks everyone!
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Upside
2002 WJ 

I would cap the line where the purge valve connects to the intake manifold and drive the Jeep for a day or two to see if the starting problem goes away. You don't really want fuel vapors floating around so I'd do this just to test it out.

There are ways to test the valve but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
casauall002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
I would cap the line where the purge valve connects to the intake manifold and drive the Jeep for a day or two to see if the starting problem goes away. You don't really want fuel vapors floating around so I'd do this just to test it out.

I'm gonna just put it out there and let you know I don't know much about cars so I don't know where the manifold is (or what it looks like) However, I think I know what/where the purge valve is. I am pretty handy with electronics and following directions. I mean I can replace a window regulator, etc...easily but when it comes to the rest, I need some directions. ha ha

Curious about those codes though. They are "gross leak/no flow" and "small leak" Could this be from the purge valve? I just looked back on the photo and the old code was P0441 "incorrect purge flow"
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
casauall002

I just listened to the video of me starting it and I thought I could get enough sound with me starting it inside the jeep but I think I'm going to need to re-record
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
mtnhigh
2004 WJ 

Another possibility is the check valve at the fuel pump is going bad. The xj's had an issue where you lose fuel pressure at the injector rail when the vehicle sits. The check valve should keep pressure to the rail, but when they go bad, they will allow the fuel to drain back into the tank. Turning the key on, off and on again, before starting would allow the system to re-pressurize. Good luck!
mtnhigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
casauall002

Quote:

Can anyone give me a quick breakdown of how to do this?
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
bambam634
1999 WJ 

bambam634 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
casauall002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam634 View Post
Uhhh...Really??? Did you read that I'm not a car person and don't even know where the manifold is but I can follow instructions fine and fairly handy?

What kind of cap should I use, etc...

Was just looking for a little bit of direction. Not asking for someone to tell me how to rebuild an engine
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Right now, I don't have access to a Service Manual, but you can look online for one.
Not sure if they have any for 2004, but the V8 from any year should be the same.

Here are some sites that have manuals online:

http://pdftown.com/Pdf-eBook/Jeep.html?from=0

http://www.nagca.com/manuals/01/manual01wj.zip

password: techauthority

http://wagoneers.com/WJ/tech/

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eard/Jeep.html

http://pdftown.com/Jeep-PDF-eBook-Category.html

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
casauall002

Quote:

So, just use basically a plug to cap this at that spot and drive it for a couple days? Should I not keep it in the garage during this time? Don't want the thing to blow up from fuel vapors.

If it still continues, how do I test to see if it's the check valve that mtnhigh mentioned?

Thanks!
Unread 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
MadderThanMax

I'd make sure all your earths are cleaned and tight, things like starter earth, block earth and of course the battery terminals..I've had this on another car whereby the earth cable had rusted through and was only connected by a thread.. it resulted in heat on the cable but would also cause the car to be a sluggish starter, just saying seeing as the Jeep is so temperamental...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.