New Engine Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Engine Options

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
mnwildfan2k

New Engine Options

Looking for some advice on my 2001 Limited 4.7. Not 100% sure what happened, but I just left the shop and my guy says that the knock is low in the motor, damage has been done, and will need a new power plant. He is going to call around tomorrow and see what he can do on pricing of a used motor. He will install for $600 cash. I have been looking on line and see that the Durango and Dakota also run a 4.7L V8. Are these actually the same motor and can be bolted into the Grand Cherokee? Any advice would be appreciated.

mnwildfan2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildfan2k
Looking for some advice on my 2001 Limited 4.7. Not 100% sure what happened, but I just left the shop and my guy says that the knock is low in the motor, damage has been done, and will need a new power plant. He is going to call around tomorrow and see what he can do on pricing of a used motor. He will install for $600 cash. I have been looking on line and see that the Durango and Dakota also run a 4.7L V8. Are these actually the same motor and can be bolted into the Grand Cherokee? Any advice would be appreciated.
This might get frowned upon by other users but if you have the money go with Jaspers. Get a completely new engine. Its costly but used engines have that potential to be unreliable. Once my 4.0 dies (which might not be in my lifetime <sarcasm>) Im going to see if I can have Jaspers make me the 4.2. If you are seriously considering Jaspers but want a v8 go with the 5.3 instead of the 4.7. The 5.3s run forever. Hope this helps.
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
grussell
2001 WJ 

You can also check www.car-part.com. many recyclers will give a short warranty and will have checked oil pressure and compression.
Unread 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
mnwildfan2k

I actually stumbled upon car-part earlier this morning. I found 2 used motors within pickup distance. One at $1000 with 158k and one at $1200 (still waiting on mileage and confirmation that they're the same motor) From what I was told, a 4.7 from either a Laredo or a Limited will work as long as the new motor has the same 16 tooth tone wheel. Can anyone confirm?
mnwildfan2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildfan2k View Post
I actually stumbled upon car-part earlier this morning. I found 2 used motors within pickup distance. One at $1000 with 158k and one at $1200 (still waiting on mileage and confirmation that they're the same motor) From what I was told, a 4.7 from either a Laredo or a Limited will work as long as the new motor has the same 16 tooth tone wheel. Can anyone confirm?
I just went through an engine swap with my brother. He has a 2004 Limited.
You are correct, just make sure the number of teeth match what you currently have. Make sure you visually check the number of teeth and make sure both are the same....

Look for my thread from about 2-3 weeks ago as I also had a dead engine. you will see a number of references for remaned ones. Remaned + install+ new 'recommended' parts (e.g intake manifold) would have cost me in excess of $4500. With my situation, this was too much $s for a 10 yo vehicle. I found engine from a 2001 with 89K miles that was backended, for $1600.
Cost to install is $1100.
At the moment, replacement engine is in, runs fine, cept oil pressure light goes on occasionally...new sender did not fix problem. prelim info from garage is that a wiring change in engine harness has to be made - we shall see.

Good luck!
three_jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Good luck! Hope it works for yah!
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I agree with the thought that putting a used engine is a gamble not worth the savings. I priced it all out also when my 4.7 died last year and ended up buying a Marshall reman through rockauto.com like this:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...936&cc=1381452 its $2800
They delivered to my house and i used a online coupon code for 5% which made the shipping free. they also accepted my used engine as core even though it had exploded parts inside. have had zero probs since then. Jasper also makes good stuff but in this case of stock replacement i would not bother as they extra cost they charge is not really going to do much for you in the long run.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs
I agree with the thought that putting a used engine is a gamble not worth the savings. I priced it all out also when my 4.7 died last year and ended up buying a Marshall reman through rockauto.com like this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...936&cc=1381452 its $2800 They delivered to my house and i used a online coupon code for 5% which made the shipping free. they also accepted my used engine as core even though it had exploded parts inside. have had zero probs since then. Jasper also makes good stuff but in this case of stock replacement i would not bother as they extra cost they charge is not really going to do much for you in the long run.
Great point. Im not a fan of the 4.7s so getting a used one would set red flags up to me personally. Looking back, if you could get a used 5.3 I think would be better than a used 4.7. But I dont know if the WJ can fit a 5.3. Does anyone know because that will be interesting to find out.
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
multmigs
2003 WJ 

by "get a 5.3" are you referring to swapping in a GM LS series engine? you are not being clear about that and its certainly a great idea but not at all what the OP was asking about at all he wants opinion on buying a used 4.7 versus something else like a reman. Thats straight up custom work not something a local garage is going to drop in for you for $600 not sure why you keep mentioning it. Why stop there why not install a LSX 454 with supercharger?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs
by "get a 5.3" are you referring to swapping in a GM LS series engine? you are not being clear about that and its certainly a great idea but not at all what the OP was asking about at all he wants opinion on buying a used 4.7 versus something else like a reman. Thats straight up custom work not something a local garage is going to drop in for you for $600 not sure why you keep mentioning it. Why stop there why not install a LSX 454 with supercharger?
5.3 Magnum. Can still keep it Mopar. And i would love to install a LSX 454 but it wont fit. If the 5.3 fits Id rather have that then the 4.7. And I was simply suggesting because some others like me dont like the thought of used. Not saying it is bad but other people prefer new. I was simply adding an option.
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post

5.3 Magnum. Can still keep it Mopar. And i would love to install a LSX 454 but it wont fit. If the 5.3 fits Id rather have that then the 4.7. And I was simply suggesting because some others like me dont like the thought of used. Not saying it is bad but other people prefer new. I was simply adding an option.
You must be talking about the 5.2/318. This has been brought up many times before and while it may be possible, it certainly won't be cheaper than a reman'd 4.7.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

powertrainproducts.net seems like an alternative to Jaspers. I think Im going with them real soon.

http://www.powertrainproducts.net/do...engine-p/1.htm
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
You must be talking about the 5.2/318. This has been brought up many times before and while it may be possible, it certainly won't be cheaper than a reman'd 4.7.
Yes the 5.2 sorry.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

[powertrain is also a good company. I have never dealt with them but my father has dealt with Jaspers and had them build a 351 for his Bronco since he didnt have the XLT. Non XLTs came with the 302. A 302 in a Bronco -_-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.