New electrical gremlin! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New electrical gremlin!

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

New electrical gremlin!

Keep in mind that I was driving the car last evening with no problems. This morning I got into my car to warm it up and the battery was dead. I jumped it and after a few tries got it started. Ran fine checked volts and it was right around 14. After letting it warm up I got in and my ABS/Red Brake light came on. I got worried but it shut off after awhile. Then my speedometer started goin crazy like up and down. Drove it and almost died once pulled up to a light but it stuttered back to life. Pulled over checked battery connections and everything was tight. I decided to turn around and go back home and as soon as I shut it off I tried restarting it and it was dead. I'm leaing toward the battery being completely drained

Unread 02-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Matrixxxx
2001 WJ 

your charge alt should provide power once your engine is running.

it could be bad earthing for it to affect so many pieces of equipment, id put a multimeter across the battery and see what it does when cranking, check electrolyte and do a discharge test on the battery. if the battery is out of warranty then replace if suspect.

check resistance between battery neg and chassis, or measure between pos and neg on your battery and pos on the battery and the chassis to see if there is any voltage difference, they should be the same or very close.
Matrixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixxxx
your charge alt should provide power once your engine is running. it could be bad earthing for it to affect so many pieces of equipment, id put a multimeter across the battery and see what it does when cranking, check electrolyte and do a discharge test on the battery. if the battery is out of warranty then replace if suspect. check resistance between battery neg and chassis, or measure between pos and neg on your battery and pos on the battery and the chassis to see if there is any voltage difference, they should be the same or very close.
So your saying that the battery is suspect? I'm going to take it to orielly after school and have it tested
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Matrixxxx
2001 WJ 

well its a process of elimination, if the battery good then it could be an earthing problem. the battery's the easy bit to check.
Matrixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixxxx
well its a process of elimination, if the battery good then it could be an earthing problem. the battery's the easy bit to check.
I don't have any electrical equipment to test anything since I hate it. After reading many forums and such I'm having no doubts that it is the battery and becuase it was so dead the abs and brake light wernt getting enough power to function properly. I'll post later and see what happened
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

*Update* brought the old battery to oriellys and it tested bad. Upon other inspection I found some battery acid that was leaking out of the terminal area and such. So I bought a new one and it's running great
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Krooser
1999 WJ 

I have seen owners spend hundreds of $$$ and hours upon hours trouble shooting persistent electrical snafu's only to find they had a bad battery. You did good...
Krooser is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.