New Dude, Same Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Dude, Same Issues

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
Jbloader
2001 WJ 

New Dude, Same Issues

Hey guys and gals! Just bought my 16 year old daughter a roughly used 2001, 4.0l Laredo with 166,000 miles on it. The body is very nice with the only visible rust being very little on the inside bottom driver's door. Undercarriage is solid as well with some minor spots. I paid $1500 for her with some known issues and some unknown.

So far I have replaced the trans pan with filter(near rust through), radiator, rad fan, fan switch, thermostat, and passenger window regulator (easier than most Chrysler products by a long shot!!!).

Future parts starting next weekend will be the exhaust (from the headers back due to cat pipe elbow rust thru), all new brakes, pads, rotors, calipers, tires, rear main seal, and valve cover gasket.

Now, the questions you all were expecting. There is an obvious oil leak on the passenger side between the head and block. There are no obvious signs of oil intrusion into the coolant or vice versa and while I do lose coolant I can see it run from the backside of the overflow reservoir when it is to the "fill" mark (I suspect I need an overflow tank added to my parts list ).

Concerning this leak, I have seen very little traffic on this but the little I have seen appears to blow this off as a "jeep thing." Having the dreaded 0331 heads do I go ahead and change the heads and head gasket or wait until something major happens (leak becomes a flow, or heads crack).

Obviously, having no prior knowledge of the maintenance of this vehicle I am wary of everything but she has survived 166k miles and still runs well, albeit with obvious maintenance issues. The engine runs out strong (with a tap, tap, tappy until warmed up), the tranny shifts well, the heat works, etc., etc.

I have five-six months to turn this rough running vehicle into purr-fection for my daughter. What are some of your thoughts? Change the head/gasket or wait and see?

Jbloader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
JeepGrandWJ
2001 WJ 

Its the cylinder head gasket ....

I have the same issue.You dont have to change the cylinder head gasket now (if its not too bad) its a Jeep Thing ...
Unread 04-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Jbloader
2001 WJ 

Hah, thanks. I figured as much but it's always good to hear from someone else. I degreased and power washed the crud out around it and after driving for about 30 minutes in town and on the highway it had seeped enough to make it wet almost to the oil filter. I'll just keep an eye on the amount of oil loss between changes.
Unread 04-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
JeepGrandWJ
2001 WJ 

Don't worry too much about it !! As long as it's not dripping oil !

If it's dripping oil than you have to do something. But I think it's just a little sweating like my jeep does.
JeepGrandWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Jbloader
2001 WJ 

Quick update: After driving it on and off again for the last month the engine block now has a nice oily sheen from the seep/weep. However, I have lost no significant amounts of oil and it appears to be a seep and not a leak.

Thanks, all.
Unread 05-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbloader View Post
Quick update: After driving it on and off again for the last month the engine block now has a nice oily sheen from the seep/weep. However, I have lost no significant amounts of oil and it appears to be a seep and not a leak.

Thanks, all.
Like others have said, it's a jeep thing! Also, you should only be worried when the 4.0 isn't leaking/seeping oil, because that means it doesn't have any!
Unread 05-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
holliewood61
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thats the thing about oil, 3 drops looks like a gallon for some reason. Dont worry about the leak, worry if it quits leaking.
81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 05:19 AM   #8
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

I had the same 'seep'. I degreased the length of the block/head gasket, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. I put on a bead of high temp RTV, and it worked like a charm. It's a $10 'band aid' fix, but with nothing to loose.

Give it a try!
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.