New cut key doesn't work - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New cut key doesn't work

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
snorander
2001 WJ 

I took my one working key to the hardware store, they cut me a new key and programmed it for less than $75. Not as pretty as a factory key, but it works fine

snorander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Howdy View Post
The problem with wording is the you can always bend and twist it to whatever you need. No you don't need ORIGINAL or DEALER PROGRAMMED keys to make your own using the Jeep. You just need two keys that have been enrolled in the Jeep separately. Who programmed them does not matter.
Now, you are twisting HIS words to fit YOUR argument. I understood what he meant. He said you needed two ORIGINAL keys, not one key a clone of the other, to create a third key.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #33
jra8858
2002 WJ 

I just had a key cut and programmed and a fob programmed by a locksmith yesterday for 75 total. Included key, programming, and programming of the fob. I only had 1 key and no working fobs to begin with. He plugged his laptop tool in the obd port to program the key, and then used a different "RF" tool I believe is what he called it to program the fob. He even stated that even if I didn't have a single key he would still be able to cut and progam me a key as long as ignition cylinder was intact. Total time for the whole process was less than 10 minutes!
jra8858 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #34
Capt_Howdy

Even with two ORIGINAL keys, you still need a free programming slot in the immobilizer to create a third key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Now, you are twisting HIS words to fit YOUR argument. I understood what he meant. He said you needed , not one key a clone of the other, to create a third key.

Capt_Howdy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #35
Capt_Howdy

What you have there is a clone key from the hardware store. Still works the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorander View Post
I took my one working key to the hardware store, they cut me a new key and programmed it for less than $75. Not as pretty as a factory key, but it works fine
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #36
Capt_Howdy

You got a very good deal for $75. Did he or did you get the PIN code from the dealer to program the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra8858 View Post
I just had a key cut and programmed and a fob programmed by a locksmith yesterday for 75 total. Included key, programming, and programming of the fob. I only had 1 key and no working fobs to begin with. He plugged his laptop tool in the obd port to program the key, and then used a different "RF" tool I believe is what he called it to program the fob. He even stated that even if I didn't have a single key he would still be able to cut and progam me a key as long as ignition cylinder was intact. Total time for the whole process was less than 10 minutes!
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #37
snorander
2001 WJ 

Quote:
What you have there is a clone key from the hardware store. Still works the same.
Clone key, reprogramed key or whateever it is called, I could care less. It works That's all I care LOL
snorander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #38
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
You got a very good deal for $75. Did he or did you get the PIN code from the dealer to program the key?
All I did was call him, tell him what I needed, he told me he wason his way to a job almost around the corner from me. So I went there to meet him, 15 minutes later he arrived, cut my key, plugged in his laptop tool, and in less than 10 minutes I had a working key and fob! He was very professional, and courteous and would recommend him to anyone! But like I said he said even if I didn't have any key at all he still could cut and program a key for me onsite as long as the lock cylinder was intact. Here is a link to his website...
http://rochesterautokeyguy.com/
I am not in any way, shape, or form affiliated with this business, Im just a very satisfied customer!
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #39
Capt_Howdy

No key situations are common place. The most common way to cut a new key without having keys is to cut by code. On a Jeep their are a few ways of doing this, you can get the key code from the dealer by having them look up your VIN or you can decode the door locks to get the key code. I might make a video on this one day.

Quote:
All I did was call him, tell him what I needed, he told me he wason his way to a job almost around the corner from me. So I went there to meet him, 15 minutes later he arrived, cut my key, plugged in his laptop tool, and in less than 10 minutes I had a working key and fob! He was very professional, and courteous and would recommend him to anyone! But like I said he said even if I didn't have any key at all he still could cut and program a key for me onsite as long as the lock cylinder was intact. Here is a link to his website...
http://rochesterautokeyguy.com/
I am not in any way, shape, or form affiliated with this business, Im just a very satisfied customer!
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #40
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Even with two ORIGINAL keys, you still need a free programming slot in the immobilizer to create a third key.
No one said you didn't.

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #41
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Quote:
No key situations are common place. The most common way to cut a new key without having keys is to cut by code. On a Jeep their are a few ways of doing this, you can get the key code from the dealer by having them look up your VIN or you can decode the door locks to get the key code. I might make a video on this one day.
Maybe in your experience, but No you not correct in my situation there was no code, and no involvement with a dealer. I was specifically told all he needs is access to the lock cylinder. Im pretty sure a certified locksmith like him isn't relying on a dealers help to make a living. I posted the link with his website, feel free to contact him yourself. All he would need without any key is access to your lock cylinder, access to your obd port, and a payment of $65.
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #42
Capt_Howdy

You would be surprised how many certified locksmiths like him have to rely on a dealers for the PIN codes. The software used to dump the PIN code from the DLC is relatively new and not cheap and it does not work with all Chrysler/Jeep models. On 99-00 WJ's the immobilizer has to be removed and opened to extract the PIN code. Having done it via the DLC your Jeep must be 01-04.

Quote:
Maybe in your experience, but No you not correct in my situation there was no code, and no involvement with a dealer. I was specifically told all he needs is access to the lock cylinder. Im pretty sure a certified locksmith like him isn't relying on a dealers help to make a living. I posted the link with his website, feel free to contact him yourself. All he would need without any key is access to your lock cylinder, access to your obd port, and a payment of $65.
Unread 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
grussell
2001 WJ 

Right now WJ #1 only has 1 key and it broke off at the head last weekend. I took it to ACE Hardware and they made a new key and cloned the code and it works! The cost was $79 plus tax. I had a spare door key made just for a lock out. When I get my builds behind me deal with the keys. I have been to 2 Jeep dealers and both said they will not program an ebay key.
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #44
grussell
2001 WJ 

Right now WJ #1 only has 1 key and it broke off had the head. I took it to ACE Hardware and they made a new key and cloned the code and it works! The cost was $79 plus tax. I had a spare door key made just for a lock out. When I get my builds behind me deal with the keys.
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #45
Capt_Howdy

The only thing that I don't like about cloned keys is the fact that they use a battery. If the battery dies in the key you ain't going anywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.