New cut key doesn't work - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New cut key doesn't work

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSilvia View Post
I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and just had a key cut. Unfortunately the Jeep won't stay on and the key light blinks. I didn't think the WJ I have has a transponder does it? Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJCLE59a8d8
How many keys do you have? If this is the third key, and is a transponder key, you can program it yourself, but if it's only a 2nd key, you will have to go to the dealer.
Edit: sorry, didn't mean to repeat what others have said, I should read the whole thread before posting.
Sent from my iPad using electrons

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdg View Post
Really? To buy the key AND have it coded? It's closer to $300 here.
Man, they are ripping you. It should be only a half hour labor and whatever the key costs.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Cheaper way to make keys work

Dealership wanted too much for the key and programing where I'm at. Eventually, I ended up getting a $2 replacement key non-chip. I took the steering housing off to get access to the ignition. I zipped tied the original Jeep key with the transponder to the ignition and put back the housing.

Now my $2 keys all work. I'm not kosher paying $300 for a set of keys.

Yes, I know this completely by-passes and eliminates the Sentry-Key feature. Being a 14 year old Overland with 178k miles , I won't completely cry if they steal it. Besides, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it regadless. I'm not in a high crime area anyways.

I read this in the JK forum a while back.
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Howdy View Post
You can copy one key to another, this is called key cloning. No DRB or PIN code needed to clone, just one good working key. This is what most box stores do that offer transponder key sales. In fact this is the only way to make a working key without the need to access the car. Dealers wont clone keys, they are not equipped to clone keys.
The technology in that key is not RFid at that point. Yes it "clones" the RFid unique id, but its a completely different technology that "fools" the SKIM into thinking its an original key. I have never seen any box store using that technology, in fact, most wont go anywhere near a chipped key. They wont even cut them because they know if they screw it up, its not just a $0.50 key that can be easily replaced. I would even imagine that that technology is illegal in some states since it could be considered "hacking" or fraud. (Not necessarily in terms of vehicle keys, but in the other ways that technology can be used, ie. cloning credit cards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Not true. There are a few US owners of early 99 models on here with chip free keys. I did not believe them when they first said until they proved it! The keys even look slightly different. They usually post to say so on threads like this!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
I have never seen a true US model without SKIS. I have seen a few Canadian models which were re-sold in the US without SKIS, but never a true US model. Oh well, most of them do then I guess.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Capt_Howdy

If it was different technology the key would not work. There is no fooling the key is a 100% clone. The days of old battery powered clone keys are gone if that's what you were thinking. I have seen Home Depot sell them. Not sure how you see this as "hacking" or fraud. You can not clone credit cards with a Zedbull Where are you getting this information?

How do you tell the difference between Canadian models and true US models?

http://www.f150online.com/forums/199...onder-key.html

EZ-Clone machine

Capt_Howdy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #21
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Walmart does some key programming, they charge $60-$70 per key for the chipped ones, programming and all. They use a machine the reads the good key and insert the blank.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
If it was different technology the key would not work. There is no fooling the key is a 100% clone. The days of old battery powered clone keys are gone if that's what you were thinking. I have seen Home Depot sell them. Not sure how you see this as "hacking" or fraud. You can not clone credit cards with a Zedbull Where are you getting this information?

How do you tell the difference between Canadian models and true US models?

http://www.f150online.com/forums/199...onder-key.html

EZ-Clone machine

Sentry keys are different from from ford or toyota transponders who use one "master key". Not a single home depot or walmart or anyone else in MI or IN will touch a chipped key. If they say they can do it in your neck of the woods, then more power to them. Also, many credit cards do use RFids these days. Would they use the same machine that clones a key? No. But its the same technology and IS illegal.

Edit: And yes, different technologies CAN "fool" the SKIS. How do you think remote starters work?

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
Capt_Howdy

The 2010+ Ford master key system has very little to do with the key, it's more about administrative privileges to things like radio volume. Are you telling me that companies like kaba-ilco are making and selling illegal devices? What states are they illegal? I'm a locksmith by trade and this is news to me. Please tell me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Sentry keys are different from from ford or toyota transponders who use one "master key". Not a single home depot or walmart or anyone else in MI or IN will touch a chipped key. If they say they can do it in your neck of the woods, then more power to them. Also, many credit cards do use RFids these days. Would they use the same machine that clones a key? No. But its the same technology and IS illegal.

Edit: And yes, different technologies CAN "fool" the SKIS. How do you think remote starters work?
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #24
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
The 2010+ Ford master key system has very little to do with the key, it's more about administrative privileges to things like radio volume. Are you telling me that companies like kaba-ilco are making and selling illegal devices? What states are they illegal? I'm a locksmith by trade and this is news to me. Please tell me more.
Cloning credit cards is illegal in every state.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

Build Thread

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
Capt_Howdy

Which has nothing to do with cloning keys.

Quote:
Cloning credit cards is illegal in every state.

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #26
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Which has nothing to do with cloning keys.
I never said it did. Here's the original statement again.

" I would even imagine that that technology is illegal in some states since it could be considered "hacking" or fraud. (Not necessarily in terms of vehicle keys, but in the other ways that technology can be used, ie. cloning credit cards)"

One more time, only the important part "(Not necessarily in terms of vehicle keys, but in the other ways that technology can be used, ie. cloning credit cards)"

Build Thread

Unread 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Howdy
You can copy one key to another, this is called key cloning. No DRB or PIN code needed to clone, just one good working key. This is what most box stores do that offer transponder key sales. In fact this is the only way to make a working key without the need to access the car. Dealers wont clone keys, they are not equipped to clone keys.
Absolutely right.The problem in this thread is the wording.You need two ORIGINAL or DEALER PROGRAMMED keys to make your own using the Jeep.Not just two WORKING keys.I have two working keys and couldnt understand why i couldnt make more keys that would start the jeep with them.Because one is an original and one is a clone of the original. Lots of threads on this.Good luck
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
Capt_Howdy

One more time, Which has nothing to do with cloning keys. Why even bring it up. Sorta of a circle jerk of irrelevant points.
Microwave oven technology totally illegal in some states when used as a death-ray

Quote:
I never said it did. Here's the original statement again.

" I would even imagine that that technology is illegal in some states since it could be considered "hacking" or fraud. (Not necessarily in terms of vehicle keys, but in the other ways that technology can be used, ie. cloning credit cards)"

One more time, only the important part "(Not necessarily in terms of vehicle keys, but in the other ways that technology can be used, ie. cloning credit cards)"

Last edited by Capt_Howdy; 03-07-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Unread 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #29
Capt_Howdy

The problem with wording is the you can always bend and twist it to whatever you need. No you don't need ORIGINAL or DEALER PROGRAMMED keys to make your own using the Jeep. You just need two keys that have been enrolled in the Jeep separately. Who programmed them does not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACNY View Post
Absolutely right.The problem in this thread is the wording.You need two ORIGINAL or DEALER PROGRAMMED keys to make your own using the Jeep.Not just two WORKING keys.I have two working keys and couldnt understand why i couldnt make more keys that would start the jeep with them.Because one is an original and one is a clone of the original. Lots of threads on this.Good luck
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
wchancey

I just bought 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo it only had one key. I called dealership it was $149 for a new key programmed.
Called locksmith it was $69.80 if I had the pin number.

Went to dealer , showed registration and ID was given the pin for free. Locksmith made key , works perfect now I am going to order a new fob.
wchancey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.