New cut key doesn't work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New cut key doesn't work

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

Wj New cut key doesn't work

I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and just had a key cut. Unfortunately the Jeep won't stay on and the key light blinks. I didn't think the WJ I have has a transponder does it?

Unread 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Stimmel
2001 WJ 

Yes it does
Stimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
soonerdg
2003 WJ 

Yep it's got a SKIM. You gotta get they key from the dealer and have i coded to your car. And it isn't cheap!
soonerdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

$45 here
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
soonerdg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irzyxel View Post
$45 here
Really? To buy the key AND have it coded? It's closer to $300 here.
soonerdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

They key itself is expensive from the dealership. Buy one on ebay and take it to them to program. Some dealerships even do it for free as a courtesy for loyal customers. Others charge around 30 minutes of labor. Its literally a 2 minute job for them to do.

And OP: Every WJ sold in the US has SKIS.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

If you have two working keys, you can program a third one yourself. Otherwise, dealer or possibly a locksmith.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywgn71 View Post
If you have two working keys, you can program a third one yourself. Otherwise, dealer or possibly a locksmith.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm
Having the dealer do it is the better option. The key code will be unique. Though I've heard some locksmiths are doing this now, typically they just copy the code from the existing key.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Capt_Howdy

The key code comes with the PIN code, so cutting new keys from code is really not even an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Having the dealer do it is the better option. The key code will be unique. Though I've heard some locksmiths are doing this now, typically they just copy the code from the existing key.
Capt_Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm talking about the code programmed into the key that pairs with the SKIM in order to verify the key is correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm
In situations where only one key is available, keys must be programmed by the dealer via the Secured Access Method. The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a DRBIIIt scan tool and will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKIM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKIM. This PIN number may be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper Secured Access method programming procedures.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
georged
2004 WJ 

Check with WallMart. They might be able to copy the code if you have one original key.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

There is nothing to copy. They cannot just copy a code from an existing key. The PIN they are referring to is more of a password to access the skim.

The keys have RFid chips in them and are hard coded with a unique id like a serial number. No two keys have the same id...ever. You have to program the module in the jeep to recognize the unique id in the key. Again, the module in the jeep is programmed, NOT the key. With two working keys, you don't need the PIN or DRB, using the existing keys you can access the skim and then program it recognize the new key. But if you only have one key, the only way to do this is with a DRB. It is rare that a run of the mill locksmith with have a DRB, but they are out there.

But again, you cannot just "copy" the RFid from one key to another. You have to tell the module in the jeep which RFid's to accept.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Capt_Howdy

You can copy one key to another, this is called key cloning. No DRB or PIN code needed to clone, just one good working key. This is what most box stores do that offer transponder key sales. In fact this is the only way to make a working key without the need to access the car. Dealers wont clone keys, they are not equipped to clone keys.
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post

And OP: Every WJ sold in the US has SKIS.
Not true. There are a few US owners of early 99 models on here with chip free keys. I did not believe them when they first said until they proved it! The keys even look slightly different. They usually post to say so on threads like this!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Capt_Howdy

I have seen early 99 models in Canada without SKIM. The wiring and plug for the SKIM is there just no module is installed. The owners of these models have a hell of a time finding ECU replacements since there is no way to tell between a SKIM or no SKIM ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Not true. There are a few US owners of early 99 models on here with chip free keys. I did not believe them when they first said until they proved it! The keys even look slightly different. They usually post to say so on threads like this!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.