new battery yesterday. alternator good. car bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new battery yesterday. alternator good. car bad

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
benj851
2001 WJ 

new battery yesterday. alternator good. car bad

Have been having car starting issues. Two weeks ago it just didn't. I got it and floored it to keep it alive which cause it to die. I disconnected the battery to reset the system after a have hour I reconnect put the key to on position and wait a week minutes. With the help of a jump it started. I let run for five minutes then left it alone. I charged it battery showed good, and alternator was fine.

same thing yesterday. Go it to start drove to auto, he said the battery was showing good but drained. Told him I charged it a week ago and just bought a new battery.

today getting an oil change, and they provide a free battery test. I figure why not its a brand new battery. First they show the battery as 136 months old. Then the results say my battery only has 612cca. I was under the impression my 4.7l v8 needed 650. Finally they say my battery needs a 40 minute charge. I have would chock this off as bs but lately when I get in my car while the power is off there is this really fast paced back and forth duet of click coming from the fuze box click click click click click click. Could that be what was draining my first good battery and now my brad new one? Or was the battery test just bs to start.

the clicking isn't often and only sporadic. It happened on and off a few years ago and then went away.

anyone know anything about my plight of the clicks?

benj851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

If you haven't cleaned your battery terminals, go ahead and clean them...VERY well. These are very very sensitive to bad connections. Another thought is a bad ground cable. They do get gangrene past the terminals, increasing resistance.

Tim
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
benj851
2001 WJ 

Terminals were thoroughly cleaned when I put my battery in. Is the ground in any way related to the sporadic clicking in my interior fuze box? I'll find out how and look at the ground this evening.
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
benj851
2001 WJ 

It's just like something is draining my battery when my car is off, no key in terminal.... I don't understand how the clicking noise near the fuse box in the car can make noise if the car is technically off.
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

OK, if there's that, open the power distribution box, and put your finger on the relays. See if you can feel which one is going spastic, and using the map on the inside of the lid, you should be able to see what it controls. This could be as simple as a bad relay.

Pull the relay, and see if your power draw vanishes.

Tim

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.