Neutral safety switch 3 wire colors/or bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Neutral safety switch 3 wire colors/or bypass

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
TheGeek
2001 WJ 

Wj Neutral safety switch 3 wire colors/or bypass

Recently I had a Park neutral switch going bad code on my 2001 WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 I bought the new switch, but when I went to change it out, the 3 wires on the connector are all exposed and frayed/melted. So I went to my local Jeep dealership to get a new CONNECTOR, but they can't get them. So I went to my local junkyard... no WJ's. I cut the end of the connector off, tried to splice in some fresh wires and heatshrunk the exposed wires. Upon rehook up, it will not start. I don't know if I mixed up the order of the three wires or what. Kinda hard to tell the exact colors of the wires (being under the car and covered in grease), but I think they are GREEN, YELLOW striped with unknown color, and TAN. Am I close here? I can't find any wiring diagram for it in the back of the Haynes manual. I'm guessing when I reconnected it all, that it's either wrong, or the connector is so frayed that it's not getting any juice. I've read about bypassing it by grounding the center wire, but I don't know which one was the center wire now. If I do bypass it, will I have problems with my backup lights? Will my check engine light turn off finally?
I noticed that when you snap the connector back on, there is no catch/stop so is it possible to put it on backwards/upside down?
I need help here. This is driving me crazy. Anyone got a diagram with color codes or advice about bypassing it?

TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
longdecember

exact same problem. replaced frayed wires after getting the code and now it wont fire. Any ideas anyone??
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Dasko
2001 WJ 

Did you have any luck I'm doing that tomorrow and could really use a reference. Thanks

2001 WJ- SOLD

[QUOTE=mrJ]It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.[/QUOTE][/CENTER]
Dasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

This image is from the 01 FSM. In case you need a translation: VT/BK = violet/black, BR/YL - brown/yellow, and WT/TN = white/tan.
clipboard01.jpg  
Unread 05-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

Awesome, this thread isnt 2 years old. I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0l. I did a transmission swap to a ax15. Standards dont have a NSS. My 42RE has the 3-pin/3-wire NSS that goes to the back up lights as well. Which wire do I ground to start and have my Jeep run? The Middle one, as per your diagram?

Thanks in advance!
97CherokeeSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.