Need upper CA help ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Need upper CA help ASAP

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 09-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
BenH
2001 WJ 

Need upper CA help ASAP

ok, so I have been replacing all my front end bushings, I just replaced my upper axle side bushings and cannot get my passenger side upper ca on.. I know they are really hard to do so i used a come along off the upper ca mount to the tranny cross member. It was going fairly well and I had maybe an 8th of an inch of go when my come along cable started to break. It snapped one of the strands in the cable and damaged more.. And it was a 4 ton some along.

How else can I get that ca in?
for reference I have RK lowers that are the same length and I have the stock uppers that should be fine.

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Duh

It shouldnt be that hard, sounds like the axle isnt aligned very straight. Are the lower arms adjustable? I would disconnect some of the steering linkages and see if that helps any, and if the lowers are adjustable, doing those last and adjusting them a bit at a time. Try to make sure the axle is straight with the body, use a tape measure against the fender if nothing else (with both uppers discoed in your case so that there is a 'natural' relaxation to it if that makes any sense. It shouldnt be tight enough to break a comealong.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
BenH
2001 WJ 

OK! solved it. Even though my lowers were the same length the axle was not straight (bent uni?) I lengthened my drivers side lca and shortened my passenger lca and then everything went together ok. Still had to use the come along but it wasn't to bad!
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

The CA's have to be the SAME length. I doubt your axle is bent. It's not uncommon to have to use ratchet straps or jack up that side a few inches. I have used a bottle jack horizontally, with the base placed against the front sway bar and the top against the axle bushing mount to rotate the axle backwards.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
JeepDad71
2002 WJ 

park it against a curb-free n easy, that'll push axle back
JeepDad71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.